Posted to alt.home.repair
Bod[_3_] Bod[_3_] is offline

Default The differences between the UK and the US getting a Covid jab

On 18/05/2021 16:18, Retirednoguilt wrote:
On 5/18/2021 10:43 AM, Frank wrote:
On 5/18/2021 7:51 AM, Bod wrote:
On 18/05/2021 12:49, Frank wrote:
On 5/18/2021 3:42 AM, Bod wrote:
I've noticed that the US pre wipes the injection area with I assume
surgical spirit and a plaster is applied after the jab. The UK does
none of this now. None of my family had any blood on their arms
after the jab.
At most I've seen a piece of cotton wool held on the injection area
for a matter of a few seconds, then it is removedwith no visible
blood.
(Just an observation)

I am surprised that the Brits do not do this as problems can result.
Staph bacteria exist on the skin and can infect the body.* I had it
happen a few months ago with an injection into my eye for wet AMD.
Was a bitch to deal with as four more injections were needed to
clear it up: one to identify bacteria (it was staph), two of
antibiotic and one of steroid.

Not trying to scare anybody about getting injected and suspect if it
happened with skin injection the infected could just take antibiotic
orally.
*
Fair enough, but comparing an eye injection to an arm jab is totally
different I suspect.

I did not research the whole thing but there is maybe just about as
much of a problem.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/injec...doctor-2616542

It may be questionable as to the injection site being sterilized first.

A quick swipe with an alcohol swab will not sterilize the skin.
Otherwise, surgeons would just swab their hands for a second before
putting on gloves and prepare the operative incision site the same way.
*Thorough cleaning with a much stronger agent is required, both of
hands and incisional site to minimize the risk of contamination.
Additionally, if not allowed to air dry after swabbing, residual liquid
alcohol on the skin will be dragged into the puncture wound made by the
needle, causing unnecessary pain and possibly even possibly inactivating
the drug or vaccine being injected.* Theoretically, you can even float
some skin bacteria from the perimeter of the swab site into the small
pool of residual liquid alcohol and increase the risk of injection site
infection unless all the alcohol is allowed to air dry.* Intact skin on
the upper, outer arm, or on midthigh is relatively clean and a simple
swipe with clean water on a small clean pad or cotton swab and a pat dry
with a small absorbent sterile pad will be just as effective at
preventing injection site infection as using a typical alcohol swipe.
However, patients expect the smell and sting of the alcohol swab and old
habits often die hard even in the face of good data.

Thanks, but using old habits should always be updated with good new
evidence...agree?