Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default what a load of pish

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
Not following your line of thought here. AIUI gas boilers are 100%
gas and electricity generation is far less than 100% gas - and
declining..

It's worse than that. A gas boiler is 80-96% efficient. Generating
electricity from fossil fuel is ~30% taking into account generation and
transmission.

Is this really the case with electricity generated with gas, so like for
like?

I guess overall there is little to choose from, apart from a lot of
complex hardware at each end.

And how about the energy used to get the gas from wherever to your house?

Good question. The thing with gas is the pipelines are used to even out
use over time, essentially a means of storage.

If making meaningful comparisons, best to start with a level playing field.

I agree, but not everyone is going to have access to ground or allowed
to place large fan units on their building.

I would wager that most systems will have a cooling capability, which
will increase electricity consumption in the summer.