Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default Good ways to close the output power cable on a condensate pump?

On 2021-05-17, John Rumm wrote:

On 17/05/2021 14:37, Adam Funk wrote:

I've just received a Grundfos condensate pump to use under the
basement dehumidifier.

The old pump (which seized up after about 6 years) had a sealed-up
cable that you could strip and use optionally to power something else
(with a cut-off if the tank gets full and fails to empty). But you
didn't have to do anything if you weren't going to use that cable.

The new one came with bare wires on both the incoming (no plug!) and

These things are normally "wired in" so no need for a plug in many
applications. (or at least that is enough plausible deniability to save
the maker forking out to fit one at all, let alone the right one for the
target market)

Yes, the leaflet says "The power supply cable has a Schuko plug or a
free cable end. The cable has a length of 2 metres."

http://net.grundfos.com/Appl/ccmsservices/public/literature/filedata/Grundfosliterature-5235397.pdf

outgoing cables. As a temporary measure, I stuck Wago blocks on the
wires and a Wago box on the cable. What are some good ways to cap the
cable off? I was thinking of heat-shrink insulation on each wire, then
a piece shrunk onto the end of the cable with some excess to fold over
and then cover with another layer.

Take both cables into an enclosure of some kind using approprote strain
relief glands. Then wire up the wires you need using whatever jointing

Oh, I've already put a 13 A plug on the input cable and started using
it!

method you fancy, and terminate unused wires in a terminal of some kind
(chock block, wago, insulated butt crimp etc - basically something that
stops the conductive bit coming into something it should not, and won't
fall off.

No need to be too anal about insulation since they are all enclosed in a
box that needs a tool to access, and protected from being pulled out of
the box by the entry gland.

OK, I was just looking for a non-bulky way to terminate the output
cable so I can coil it up and cable-tie it out of the way!