Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT: Eating sentient beings?

On Sun, 16 May 2021 18:50:59 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

On Sun, 16 May 2021 12:21:50 +0100, nightjar wrote:

On 15/05/2021 22:23, Max Demian wrote:
On 15/05/2021 18:03, Commander Kinsey wrote:
New UK law:

"During a visit to Battersea Dogs and Cats Home, the Environment
Secretary said that the Government would take a significant step
forwards on animal welfare by formally recognising animals as sentient
beings through a new Animal Sentience Bill that will be introduced to
Parliament tomorrow (13 May), putting animal welfare at the very heart
of government policy decision making."

If animals are to be recognised as sentient beings, shouldn't that
mean everyone must become vegetarian?

Only if there's a law against eating sentient beings. I don't think
there's even a law against eating humans, thought there might be one
against improper use of a human body. (I'm not sure how that works;
don't some hippy types fry up their children's afterbirths and eat them?)

There is not a law against eating human flesh, but getting hold of some
legally might be a problem.

The point is, you'd get done if you killed a person for the purposes of eating. Eating animals that are now declared sentient, you have to kill them first. If this law was used correctly, it would require us to only eat animals that died of natural causes.

Bingo. (Except we really shouldn't as they should be consumed by other
living things that require them. Did you know that the nutrients from
bodies of spawning salmon feed the trees that line the rivers? If
humans harvested all the bodies, the trees would die (or not grow as
strongly). The point is that these things have been going on for
millions of years before we came along and only relatively recently,
****e over it all.

It's obvious that if (when) we had to leave the earth and live on
another planet or ship that couldn't support 'live stock', the likes
of Fredxx would either not go (no animal flesh) and perish here (no
loss etc) or go and live a long and healthy live on plant based food
grown in vertical farms and hydroponics in the biospheres.

After all, we know humans can't possibly survive without eating meat

Oh, sorry, I was thinking of lions ..., no, obviously humans *can*
live happily on a vegan diet and millions do and have done for
thousands of years ...

Cheers, T i m