Posted to alt.home.repair
Francis Strelok[_2_] Francis Strelok[_2_] is offline

Default Ot. Catalytic converter cleaner

On Sun, 16 May 2021 04:10:40 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 3:50:42 AM UTC-4, Francis Strelok wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2021 10:38:04 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:
2012 Juke has cat issues according to mechanic.
Bought Cataclean to dump in gas tank. 15 bucks give or take. Does this stuff work? Need a week or 2 to try. Full tank. Need 4 gallons ish to add.
I will report back, just wondering if it can help.
Damn nissans are draining me.

I haven't personally used it, but I'd recommend a long drive on the
highway to really heat up everything to burn up and pass anything that
might've collected in the catalytic converter.

What happened in the engine that resulted in build up in the cat?

Took it for a rattle I could not find. Sounded like a loose heat shield. Maybe I am being gamed?

If you're diagnosing a rattle, no snake oil in a can is going to help
most likely, unless the rattle you hear is the honeycomb of the
insides of the conveter. if it's from the interior of the cat, you're
going to need a new catalytic converter, and your engine will most
likely realize something is wrong from the readings on the downstream
02 sensor.

Do you live and drive somewhere where they use salt on the roads in
the winter? If so, I'd figure it's the heatshield breaking loose due
to rust. Hard to say for sure without seeing the cat, but more than
likely the heatshield could be ripped off the resolve the rattle and
you can truck on.