Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ot. Catalytic converter cleaner

2012 Juke has cat issues according to mechanic.
Bought Cataclean to dump in gas tank. 15 bucks give or take. Does this stuff work? Need a week or 2 to try. Full tank. Need 4 gallons ish to add.
I will report back, just wondering if it can help.
Damn nissans are draining me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 May 2021 10:38:04 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

2012 Juke has cat issues according to mechanic.
Bought Cataclean to dump in gas tank. 15 bucks give or take. Does this stuff work? Need a week or 2 to try. Full tank. Need 4 gallons ish to add.
I will report back, just wondering if it can help.
Damn nissans are draining me.

I haven't personally used it, but I'd recommend a long drive on the
highway to really heat up everything to burn up and pass anything that
might've collected in the catalytic converter.

What happened in the engine that resulted in build up in the cat?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
2012 Juke has cat issues according to mechanic.
Bought Cataclean to dump in gas tank. 15 bucks give or take. Does this stuff work? Need a week or 2 to try. Full tank. Need 4 gallons ish to add.
I will report back, just wondering if it can help.
Damn nissans are draining me.

I haven't personally used it, but I'd recommend a long drive on the
highway to really heat up everything to burn up and pass anything that
might've collected in the catalytic converter.

What happened in the engine that resulted in build up in the cat?

Took it for a rattle I could not find. Sounded like a loose heat shield. Maybe I am being gamed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
2012 Juke has cat issues according to mechanic.
Bought Cataclean to dump in gas tank. 15 bucks give or take. Does this stuff work? Need a week or 2 to try. Full tank. Need 4 gallons ish to add.
I will report back, just wondering if it can help.
Damn nissans are draining me.

I haven't personally used it, but I'd recommend a long drive on the
highway to really heat up everything to burn up and pass anything that
might've collected in the catalytic converter.

What happened in the engine that resulted in build up in the cat?

Took it for a rattle I could not find. Sounded like a loose heat shield. Maybe I am being gamed?

If you're diagnosing a rattle, no snake oil in a can is going to help
most likely, unless the rattle you hear is the honeycomb of the
insides of the conveter. if it's from the interior of the cat, you're
going to need a new catalytic converter, and your engine will most
likely realize something is wrong from the readings on the downstream
02 sensor.

Do you live and drive somewhere where they use salt on the roads in
the winter? If so, I'd figure it's the heatshield breaking loose due
to rust. Hard to say for sure without seeing the cat, but more than
likely the heatshield could be ripped off the resolve the rattle and
you can truck on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I forgot a line, are you currently getting a check engine light or
anything of the sort on the dash of the Juke?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
2012 Juke has cat issues according to mechanic.
Bought Cataclean to dump in gas tank. 15 bucks give or take. Does this stuff work? Need a week or 2 to try. Full tank. Need 4 gallons ish to add.
I will report back, just wondering if it can help.
Damn nissans are draining me.
I haven't personally used it, but I'd recommend a long drive on the
highway to really heat up everything to burn up and pass anything that
might've collected in the catalytic converter.

What happened in the engine that resulted in build up in the cat?

Took it for a rattle I could not find. Sounded like a loose heat shield. Maybe I am being gamed?

If you're diagnosing a rattle, no snake oil in a can is going to help
most likely,

I would have stopped with that, or just not going to help period. I'd be
skeptical that any additive is going to fix a catalytic converter period.
Some people think a cat failure is like the worst thing ever. I have a friend
who had a Honda CRV, the cat light would come on after long drives. He got
it through inspection once after that, next time he was obsessed with the
cat problem. I told him he could reset the light, wait for the monitors to be
set and likely get it through state inspection before the light came on again.
I looked up the cost of a new cat, it was around $300, which I told him.
Instead he went to the dealer for an oil change and decided to buy a new
car. They gave him $1000 for his Honda CRV that was in decent condition,
easily worth 3 times that or more..... Go figure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/15/2021 1:38 PM, Thomas wrote:
2012 Juke has cat issues according to mechanic.
Bought Cataclean to dump in gas tank. 15 bucks give or take. Does this stuff work? Need a week or 2 to try. Full tank. Need 4 gallons ish to add.
I will report back, just wondering if it can help.
Damn nissans are draining me.

The issue is usually the sensor and not the cleaner itself. Lots of
stuff on line like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnVVjm9cbIE
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

2012 Juke has cat issues according to mechanic.
Bought Cataclean to dump in gas tank. 15 bucks give or take. Does this stuff work? Need a week or 2 to try. Full tank. Need 4 gallons ish to add.
I will report back, just wondering if it can help.
Damn nissans are draining me.

I haven't personally used it, but I'd recommend a long drive on the
highway to really heat up everything to burn up and pass anything that
might've collected in the catalytic converter.

What happened in the engine that resulted in build up in the cat?

It's a Nissan - 'nough said. Between Nissan and Mitsu for the worst
new cars available in Canada / USA. Possibly throw the recent crop of
Luxury (and other) German cars into the mix as well - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 May 2021 14:19:46 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to
digest...

What happened in the engine that resulted in build up in the cat?

It's a Nissan - 'nough said. Between Nissan and Mitsu for the worst
new cars available in Canada / USA. Possibly throw the recent crop of
Luxury (and other) German cars into the mix as well - - -

The proverbial race to the bottom.

I can understand it for the cheap ****boxes but for luxury vehicles? They used
to throw their best people at them to boost the name. The tech and features
would would itself down to the less models. I hypothesize that management is
brought in from outside that has no familiarity with auto design and
manufacturing. The short term shareholder dividend is king and longterm
thinking fell out the trunk.

My thinking has always been: they would rather spend 2 bux to put a flashy
emblem on the dash than to spend 25 cents in putting a proper seal that lasts.

Clare, what are your thoughts?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 May 2021 17:38:50 -0400, Tekkie©
wrote:

[...]

Particularly true with Nissan / Renault / Mitsi****ty. Mazda, BMW and
Mercedes following fast in their footsteps.

Ford, Fica (at least the Chrysler portion) and GM are run pretty much
by accountants to benefit the hedge funds that provide the financing
through the stock market. How many years did GM profuce the 3800 with
the self-destructing intake manifold (that got burned by the EGR
tube)? and the ignition switch that shut off if you had 4 or 5 keys on
your key-ring? The accountants figured it was cheaper to pay warranty
claims, and more effective to pray most of them made it off warranty
than to spend what it would have taken to actually solve the problem.
Even pay a few death benefits if a few customers died.

I think GM has been the worst among the "big 3" for that.
Toyota and Honda have had a few situations along with Hyundai / Kia
but nothing on the scale of the Big 3, Nissan et al, and the Germans.