Posted to uk.d-i-y
JoeJoe JoeJoe is offline

Default Strange eBay T&C for postage

On 15/05/2021 11:38, Theo wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:
Trying to buy a replacement battery for an old Samsung Galaxy S7 phone
that is nearly dead.

There are plenty on offer on eBay at around £5-£7, inc. all the tools
required for the job and free delivery.

However, every single one of them comes with a statement similar to this
one:
"Due to Restriction, Buyers in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Post Code
Starts with EX, DD, ML, CF, FY , KA , BB Please choose My Hermes
postage option"

EX = Exeter
DD = Dundee
ML = Motherwell
CF = Cardiff
FY = Blackpool (Fylde)
KA = Kilmarnock
BB = Blackburn

That sounds like a really random collection of postcodes.

I was wondering if they were postcodes that happened to have islands in them
whose ferries might cause issues, but FY is only greater Blackpool and BB
and ML are landlocked.

Maybe they've just had problems with deliveries in those areas and have
decided to block them?

That was also my suspicion - the only logical explanation I could come
up with.

BTW, a battery for a fiver including tools and delivery sounds suspiciously
cheap...

The S7 is an old model - 5 years or so, so most likely old stock of OEM
that are still around. The reviews from buyers are all positive -
haven't seen any that spoke about safety. Several of the large mobile
phone parts sellers (not eBay) seem to sell what looks remarkably
similar batteries.