Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default idiot going for Darwin award

On 5/15/2021 11:07 AM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 May 2021 10:34:40 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

A friend told me yesterday while he was getting gas a woman had a double
layer of the plastic grocery bags and was filling it up with gas at a
pump. She tied it up and put it in the trunk of her car. He could not
see if she set it in a bucket or box. I hope she made it home safe.

Your friend must not be alone. Just heard on the radio that some govt.
national safety agency warned a couple days ago against carrying
gasoline in plastic bags.

When I was in high school I was doing something to the lawn mower,
trying to clean small parts maybe, and I soaked them in gasoline in a
little plastic dish that frozen? food had come in, and after 30 or 60
minutes, the dish started to turn into a puddle. Not at all sure, but I
don't think they use that kind of plastic much anymore.

Most likely polystyrene. Most plastics are not soluble in gasoline but
above its melting point, polyethylene is soluble.

Working on plastic autobody parts we would put a plastic piece in a jig
under bending stress and put drops of automotive liquids like gasoline,
brake fluid, oil, antifreeze, etc to look for stress cracking.
Something homeowner might think of in using plastic container.