Posted to alt.home.repair

Default idiot going for Darwin award

A friend told me yesterday while he was getting gas a woman had a double
layer of the plastic grocery bags and was filling it up with gas at a
pump. She tied it up and put it in the trunk of her car. He could not
see if she set it in a bucket or box. I hope she made it home safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/14/2021 10:34 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

A friend told me yesterday while he was getting gas a woman had a double
layer of the plastic grocery bags and was filling it up with gas at a
pump. She tied it up and put it in the trunk of her car. He could not
see if she set it in a bucket or box. I hope she made it home safe.

The Hummer fire made the news last night. Another woman flipped her car
and the gas in the trunk caught fire. Darwin is doing well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In Ralph Mowery writes:

A friend told me yesterday while he was getting gas a woman had a double
layer of the plastic grocery bags and was filling it up with gas at a
pump. She tied it up and put it in the trunk of her car. He could not
see if she set it in a bucket or box. I hope she made it home safe.

Do you believe everything your "friend"s tell you?

Yes, there's a picture floating around the Internet of
someone doing this.

No, it's NOT from the current problem and not even from the US.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...illed-plastic/

Posted to alt.home.repair

The morning news had a photo of a burned out car, caused by someone using hand sanitizer while smoking. Car was a total loss, everyone in survived but had burns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 May 2021 10:34:40 -0400, Ralph Mowery posted for all of us to
digest...

A friend told me yesterday while he was getting gas a woman had a double
layer of the plastic grocery bags and was filling it up with gas at a
pump. She tied it up and put it in the trunk of her car. He could not
see if she set it in a bucket or box. I hope she made it home safe.

That was a story going around. I haven't seen any pix but what the heck-flame
on!

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 May 2021 09:34:10 -0700 (PDT), TimR posted for all of us to
digest...

The morning news had a photo of a burned out car, caused by someone using hand sanitizer while smoking. Car was a total loss, everyone in survived but had burns.

Why didn't they just use the ethanol in the gaz?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 May 2021 21:31:26 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In Tekkie© writes:

On Fri, 14 May 2021 10:34:40 -0400, Ralph Mowery posted for all of us to
digest...

A friend told me yesterday while he was getting gas a woman had a double
layer of the plastic grocery bags and was filling it up with gas at a
pump. She tied it up and put it in the trunk of her car. He could not
see if she set it in a bucket or box. I hope she made it home safe.

That was a story going around. I haven't seen any pix but what the heck-flame
on!

Yes, there's a picture floating around the Internet of
someone doing this.

No, it's NOT from the current problem and not even from the US.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...illed-plastic/

This looks pretty convincing

https://www.facebook.com/slaygaryen1...09579135733599
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/14/2021 10:28 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
While no way to confirm it, on the news today there are stories of
people doing all kinds of dumb things to get more gas at the stations.
Such as using garbage bags and even putting it into open buckets in the
turnks of cars.

There was a photo of a blonde pumping gas into a laundry basket with the
caption 'She isn't going to like how much this is going to cost.'.
Presumably she had some sort of containers in the basket but it was a
natural for a meme.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 May 2021 10:34:40 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

A friend told me yesterday while he was getting gas a woman had a double
layer of the plastic grocery bags and was filling it up with gas at a
pump. She tied it up and put it in the trunk of her car. He could not
see if she set it in a bucket or box. I hope she made it home safe.

Your friend must not be alone. Just heard on the radio that some govt.
national safety agency warned a couple days ago against carrying
gasoline in plastic bags.

When I was in high school I was doing something to the lawn mower,
trying to clean small parts maybe, and I soaked them in gasoline in a
little plastic dish that frozen? food had come in, and after 30 or 60
minutes, the dish started to turn into a puddle. Not at all sure, but I
don't think they use that kind of plastic much anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A friend told me yesterday while he was getting gas a woman had a double
layer of the plastic grocery bags and was filling it up with gas at a
pump. She tied it up and put it in the trunk of her car. He could not
see if she set it in a bucket or box. I hope she made it home safe.

Your friend must not be alone. Just heard on the radio that some govt.
national safety agency warned a couple days ago against carrying
gasoline in plastic bags.

When I was in high school I was doing something to the lawn mower,
trying to clean small parts maybe, and I soaked them in gasoline in a
little plastic dish that frozen? food had come in, and after 30 or 60
minutes, the dish started to turn into a puddle. Not at all sure, but I
don't think they use that kind of plastic much anymore.

Most likely polystyrene. Most plastics are not soluble in gasoline but
above its melting point, polyethylene is soluble.

Working on plastic autobody parts we would put a plastic piece in a jig
under bending stress and put drops of automotive liquids like gasoline,
brake fluid, oil, antifreeze, etc to look for stress cracking.
Something homeowner might think of in using plastic container.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

https://www.survivalkit.com/blog/make-napalm-styrofoam/

Don't let him fool you. micky was a teenage terrorist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A friend told me yesterday while he was getting gas a woman had a
double
layer of the plastic grocery bags and was filling it up with gas at a
pump.Â* She tied it up and put it in the trunk of her car.Â* He could not
see if she set it in a bucket or box.Â* I hope she made it home safe.

Your friend must not be alone.Â* Just heard on the radio that some govt.
national safety agency warned a couple days ago against carrying
gasoline in plastic bags.

When I was in high school I was doing something to the lawn mower,
trying to clean small parts maybe, and I soaked them in gasoline in a
little plastic dish that frozen? food had come in, and after 30 or 60
minutes, the dish started to turn into a puddle.Â* Not at all sure, but I
don't think they use that kind of plastic much anymore.

Most likely polystyrene.Â*Â* Most plastics are not soluble in gasoline but
above its melting point, polyethylene is soluble.

https://www.survivalkit.com/blog/make-napalm-styrofoam/

Don't let him fool you. micky was a teenage terrorist.

That is true. Original Napalm recipe used metallic soaps as gelling
agent later switched to polystyrene.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 May 2021 14:59:09 -0400, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

wrote:

[...]

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In Tekkie© writes:

On Fri, 14 May 2021 10:34:40 -0400, Ralph Mowery posted for all of us to
digest...

A friend told me yesterday while he was getting gas a woman had a double
layer of the plastic grocery bags and was filling it up with gas at a
pump. She tied it up and put it in the trunk of her car. He could not
see if she set it in a bucket or box. I hope she made it home safe.

That was a story going around. I haven't seen any pix but what the heck-flame
on!

Yes, there's a picture floating around the Internet of
someone doing this.

No, it's NOT from the current problem and not even from the US.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...illed-plastic/

This looks pretty convincing

https://www.facebook.com/slaygaryen1...09579135733599

The gas attendant was really paying attention.
:-)

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In Tekkie© writes:

[...]

i ONLY know of this case and one other, but in each, the observer didn't
bother to warn the fool how dangerous this is. Don't people do that?

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In Tekkie© writes:

[...]

You have attendants? Most have a clerk behind the counter selling
coffee and smokes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In Tekkie© writes:

[...]

You have attendants?Â* Most have a clerk behind the counter selling
coffee and smokes.

Maybe NJ. They must have attendant pump gas there. With residents like
traitor who can blame them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You would like the book, "The Scientific Method - A Personal Account of
Unusual Projects in War and in Peace", by Harvard Professor Louis F.
Fieser. It includes his work on napalm and other neat things in the
WWII timeline. Fieser was on a speaking tour for his book and I talked
to him for about 20 minutes in my lab while he chain smoked four Lark
cigarettes. At this time period he was also on the Surgeon Generals
Committee that declared smoking caused lung cancer. He said he thought
the charcoal filter would protect him but he later got lung cancer. It
was cured but he only lived a few more years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/15/2021 5:17 PM, AK wrote:
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 6:52:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 14 May 2021 21:31:26 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In Tekkie©
writes:

[...]

Maybe NJ.Â* They must have attendant pump gas there.Â* With residents like
traitor who can blame them.

In MA it is up to the fire chief in each town to decide. I always
stopped at a station that pumped it for me as it was the same price as
the station across the street in a different town that allowed self
service. Never found a good reason to get out of the warm car when it
is 5 degrees when someone would do it for me. Always tipped him too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Fri, 14 May 2021 18:13:11 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

There was a photo of a blonde pumping gas into a laundry basket with the
caption 'She isn't going to like how much this is going to cost.'.
Presumably she had some sort of containers in the basket but it was a
natural for a meme.

THAT's the kind of "discussion" the resident gossip likes! LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 May 2021 18:18:07 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Well, she double bagged it for safety. What could go wrong?

She was on her way to a peaceful demonstration. That's the new, improved
Molotov design.

Always big on words, eh, lowbrowwoman? Where the **** did you learn to
blather that idiotically and endlessly? LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 May 2021 11:11:54 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 May 2021 12:28:28 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...

A friend told me yesterday while he was getting gas a woman had a double
layer of the plastic grocery bags and was filling it up with gas at a
pump. She tied it up and put it in the trunk of her car. He could not
see if she set it in a bucket or box. I hope she made it home safe.

Do you believe everything your "friend"s tell you?

Yes, there's a picture floating around the Internet of
someone doing this.

I do believe this particular friend. He is over 70 years old and a no
nonsense person.

While no way to confirm it, on the news today there are stories of
people doing all kinds of dumb things to get more gas at the stations.
Such as using garbage bags and even putting it into open buckets in the
turnks of cars.

See my post at the end of the thread.

We had a big gas shortage in the 70's and I don't remember anyone
putting gas in plastic bags then. Maybe it was because there were far
fewer plastic bags then. But we had paper bags. How come no one
used those?

In the Carter and Nixon gas shortages there just wasn't gas to be had.
You couldn't even fill your tank most of the time. They had a 5 gallon
limit, after waiting in line for an hour or two. I was working 3d
shift and I would just park in front of the pump and sack out in the
back of my Jeep until they opened. Usually there were 20 cars behind
me when I woke up. I did have an "any day" pass so I was not stuck
with that odd and even thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/15/2021 05:09 PM, Frank wrote:
You would like the book, "The Scientific Method - A Personal Account of
Unusual Projects in War and in Peace", by Harvard Professor Louis F.
Fieser. It includes his work on napalm and other neat things in the
WWII timeline. Fieser was on a speaking tour for his book and I talked
to him for about 20 minutes in my lab while he chain smoked four Lark
cigarettes. At this time period he was also on the Surgeon Generals
Committee that declared smoking caused lung cancer. He said he thought
the charcoal filter would protect him but he later got lung cancer. It
was cured but he only lived a few more years.

The cancer may have been caused by the charcoal granules. iirc Larks had
damn little nicotine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 05/15/2021 05:09 PM, Frank wrote:
You would like the book, "The Scientific Method - A Personal Account of
Unusual Projects in War and in Peace", by Harvard Professor Louis F.
Fieser. It includes his work on napalm and other neat things in the
WWII timeline. Fieser was on a speaking tour for his book and I talked
to him for about 20 minutes in my lab while he chain smoked four Lark
cigarettes. At this time period he was also on the Surgeon Generals
Committee that declared smoking caused lung cancer. He said he thought
the charcoal filter would protect him but he later got lung cancer. It
was cured but he only lived a few more years.

The cancer may have been caused by the charcoal granules.

Very unlikely given that those dont get into the lungs.

iirc Larks had damn little nicotine.

But still had lots of **** from the burning tobacco.

Nicotine patches dont give you cancer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Sun, 16 May 2021 12:27:44 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

The cancer may have been caused by the charcoal granules.

Very unlikely given that those don¢t get into the lungs.

iirc Larks had damn little nicotine.

But still had lots of **** from the burning tobacco.

Nicotine patches don¢t give you cancer.

In auto-contradicting mode again, you clinically insane octogenarian
sociopath?

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/14/2021 11:26 AM, danny burstein wrote:
In Ralph Mowery writes:

A friend told me yesterday while he was getting gas a woman had a double
layer of the plastic grocery bags and was filling it up with gas at a
pump. She tied it up and put it in the trunk of her car. He could not
see if she set it in a bucket or box. I hope she made it home safe.

Do you believe everything your "friend"s tell you?

Yes, there's a picture floating around the Internet of
someone doing this.

No, it's NOT from the current problem and not even from the US.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...illed-plastic/

https://trendingviews.co/video/consu...gas-15340.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 May 2021 19:09:36 -0400, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

That is true. Original Napalm recipe used metallic soaps as gelling
agent later switched to polystyrene.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

You would like the book, "The Scientific Method - A Personal Account of
Unusual Projects in War and in Peace", by Harvard Professor Louis F.
Fieser. It includes his work on napalm and other neat things in the
WWII timeline. Fieser was on a speaking tour for his book and I talked
to him for about 20 minutes in my lab while he chain smoked four Lark
cigarettes. At this time period he was also on the Surgeon Generals
Committee that declared smoking caused lung cancer. He said he thought
the charcoal filter would protect him but he later got lung cancer. It
was cured but he only lived a few more years.

Doctors recommend Chesterfields for their smoothness.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 May 2021 23:07:00 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 05/15/2021 05:09 PM, Frank wrote:
You would like the book, "The Scientific Method - A Personal Account of
Unusual Projects in War and in Peace", by Harvard Professor Louis F.
Fieser. It includes his work on napalm and other neat things in the
WWII timeline. Fieser was on a speaking tour for his book and I talked
to him for about 20 minutes in my lab while he chain smoked four Lark
cigarettes. At this time period he was also on the Surgeon Generals
Committee that declared smoking caused lung cancer. He said he thought
the charcoal filter would protect him but he later got lung cancer. It
was cured but he only lived a few more years.

The cancer may have been caused by the charcoal granules.

Very unlikely given that those don?t get into the lungs.

Cough, cough, cough, anyone gota Lark?

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2021 3:54 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

[...]

Yes, that is what my parents smoked. I was a Marlboro man but that was
50 years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/17/2021 01:54 PM, Tekkie� wrote:
Doctors recommend Chesterfields for their smoothness.

I preferred Luckies. You drink for effect, you smoke for effect. Screw
smooth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

On Mon, 17 May 2021 21:25:48 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling
Senile Gossip

I preferred Luckies. You drink for effect, you smoke for effect. Screw
smooth.

Thanks for letting us know what everyone always wanted to know about you,
you driveling senile cretin! tsk