Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default OT. Gas Pricing

On Fri, 14 May 2021 10:06:09 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/14/2021 12:50 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Do you find any real value to using it? In my area, any station in 20
miles is within 5 cents. On a trip, if you get off the highway and are
willing to travel a few miles you can save 10 cents away from the
interstate.
A typical fill for me is about 15 gallons. How far is it worth
traveling to save 75 cents? I burn 11 cents a mile at current prices.

I can save as much as 8 cents a LITER by filling up at a station on
one side of town vs a station 5 miles away on the other side of town.
When a fillup is 78 liters - so $6.25 savings for 10 mile round trip -
a no-brainer if I can plan the fillup around a trip to that general
end of town - like to pick somethingup at Costco and fill with gas at
the same time.

That is more variation that I ever see. Most is 5 cents but when I go
to my daughter's place today it is in a tourist area and it may be 10
cents.

And remember, at 8 cents a LITER that is3.78X.o8= $0.30 per american
gallon - or roughly 10% at $3 per gallon/

At $1.20 per liter that difference would be 12 cents a liter
difference for the same percentage.

8 cents a liter is about 7% at $1.20 per l,iter

State taxes vary. When I lived in CT I would buy gas when I went to MA
and save 20 cents, but I crossed the border every day for work, etc.
Again, the state varies but station to station was minimal and I passed
on the the cheapest on my way to work.

OK. so I went to the Gas Buddy web site. It did find me gas that was 20
cents cheaper and it is about 100 miles away. I'd bur 4 gallons to save $3.

Glad it works for you, but does not for me.