Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Gas Pricing

I just got back from a trip to Illinois. The lowest price I paid for the 10% ethanol blend was $2.70/gallon. That was in Platte City, MO north of Kansas City. The lowest price I noticed along I-70 was $2.75/gallon. I think that was around Oak Grove, MO. It's about a fourth of the way from KC to Columbia.
It seems to be costing about $2.90/gallon in southeast/south central Nebraska.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/13/2021 07:26 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
I just got back from a trip to Illinois. The lowest price I paid for the 10% ethanol blend was $2.70/gallon. That was in Platte City, MO north of Kansas City. The lowest price I noticed along I-70 was $2.75/gallon. I think that was around Oak Grove, MO. It's about a fourth of the way from KC to Columbia.
It seems to be costing about $2.90/gallon in southeast/south central Nebraska.

I think the last time I bought gas it was $2.79. Tonight I noticed the
signs were reading $3.15. We're a hell of a long way from the Colonial
pipeline but any excuse is good for the traditional Memorial Day ramp up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 May 2021 18:26:59 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman
wrote:

I just got back from a trip to Illinois. The lowest price I paid for the 10% ethanol blend was $2.70/gallon. That was in Platte City, MO north of Kansas City. The lowest price I noticed along I-70 was $2.75/gallon. I think that was around Oak Grove, MO. It's about a fourth of the way from KC to Columbia.
It seems to be costing about $2.90/gallon in southeast/south central Nebraska.

I use Gas Buddy to check fuel prices, not only for my area but for any area
around the country.

Here's Platte City, MO, for example, still at about $2.70.
https://www.gasbuddy.com/home?search=platte%20city%2C%20mo&fuel=1&maxAge=0& method=

I use the Gas Buddy app on my smartphone, but the web site works, too. The
site and the app are free, and using them to find gas prices is also free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just got back from a trip to Illinois. The lowest price I paid for the 10% ethanol blend was $2.70/gallon. That was in Platte City, MO north of Kansas City. The lowest price I noticed along I-70 was $2.75/gallon. I think that was around Oak Grove, MO. It's about a fourth of the way from KC to Columbia.
It seems to be costing about $2.90/gallon in southeast/south central Nebraska.

I use Gas Buddy to check fuel prices, not only for my area but for any area
around the country.

Here's Platte City, MO, for example, still at about $2.70.
https://www.gasbuddy.com/home?search=platte%20city%2C%20mo&fuel=1&maxAge=0& method=

I use the Gas Buddy app on my smartphone, but the web site works, too. The
site and the app are free, and using them to find gas prices is also free.

Do you find any real value to using it? In my area, any station in 20
miles is within 5 cents. On a trip, if you get off the highway and are
willing to travel a few miles you can save 10 cents away from the
interstate.
A typical fill for me is about 15 gallons. How far is it worth
traveling to save 75 cents? I burn 11 cents a mile at current prices.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/13/2021 10:05 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Do you find any real value to using it? In my area, any station in 20
miles is within 5 cents. On a trip, if you get off the highway and are
willing to travel a few miles you can save 10 cents away from the
interstate.
A typical fill for me is about 15 gallons. How far is it worth
traveling to save 75 cents? I burn 11 cents a mile at current prices.

At least around here the stations at the interstate exits are the same
price ass in town. My car takes about 9 gallons at the most so it's a
moot point. There's a CostCo a few blocks from work that's acouple of
cents cheaper but they put California Donkey Dicks on the nozzles and
dealing with those isn't worth it. It's bad enough with the car but they
really suck with bikes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I can save as much as 8 cents a LITER by filling up at a station on
one side of town vs a station 5 miles away on the other side of town.
When a fillup is 78 liters - so $6.25 savings for 10 mile round trip -
a no-brainer if I can plan the fillup around a trip to that general
end of town - like to pick somethingup at Costco and fill with gas at
the same time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 May 2021 20:45:43 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 05/13/2021 07:26 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
I just got back from a trip to Illinois. The lowest price I paid for the 10% ethanol blend was $2.70/gallon. That was in Platte City, MO north of Kansas City. The lowest price I noticed along I-70 was $2.75/gallon. I think that was around Oak Grove, MO. It's about a fourth of the way from KC to Columbia.
It seems to be costing about $2.90/gallon in southeast/south central Nebraska.

I think the last time I bought gas it was $2.79. Tonight I noticed the
signs were reading $3.15. We're a hell of a long way from the Colonial
pipeline but any excuse is good for the traditional Memorial Day ramp up.

My governor declared an emergency, even though most of the state is
not affected by the pipeline but it does freeze gas prices so greedy
station owners can't gouge us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Thu, 13 May 2021 20:45:43 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

On 05/13/2021 07:26 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
I just got back from a trip to Illinois. The lowest price I paid for the 10% ethanol blend was $2.70/gallon. That was in Platte City, MO north of Kansas City. The lowest price I noticed along I-70 was $2.75/gallon. I think that was around Oak Grove, MO. It's about a fourth of the way from KC to Columbia.
It seems to be costing about $2.90/gallon in southeast/south central Nebraska.

I think the last time I bought gas it was $2.79.

Thanks, I was just about to ask you how much you paid for gas last time you
bought some!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 May 2021 22:43:56 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

At least around here the stations at the interstate exits are the same
price ass in town....

You can go endlessly like that, eh, gossip girl? LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Here in NJ it can vary by 30 cents, though usually most are fairly close with
just some outliers. Right now the lowest is 2.99, most of the bunch is at
that price. Also the lowest prices are almost always at the same places,
eg Costco. So using Gas Buddy around home isn't that useful, but it is when
traveling out of the area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/14/2021 12:50 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Do you find any real value to using it? In my area, any station in 20
miles is within 5 cents. On a trip, if you get off the highway and are
willing to travel a few miles you can save 10 cents away from the
interstate.
A typical fill for me is about 15 gallons. How far is it worth
traveling to save 75 cents? I burn 11 cents a mile at current prices.

I can save as much as 8 cents a LITER by filling up at a station on
one side of town vs a station 5 miles away on the other side of town.
When a fillup is 78 liters - so $6.25 savings for 10 mile round trip -
a no-brainer if I can plan the fillup around a trip to that general
end of town - like to pick somethingup at Costco and fill with gas at
the same time.

That is more variation that I ever see. Most is 5 cents but when I go
to my daughter's place today it is in a tourist area and it may be 10
cents.

State taxes vary. When I lived in CT I would buy gas when I went to MA
and save 20 cents, but I crossed the border every day for work, etc.
Again, the state varies but station to station was minimal and I passed
on the the cheapest on my way to work.

OK. so I went to the Gas Buddy web site. It did find me gas that was 20
cents cheaper and it is about 100 miles away. I'd bur 4 gallons to save $3.

Glad it works for you, but does not for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I used to fill up any time passing through NJ but that advantage went
away a year or two ago. Heading north, I think the last cheap gas is VA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

just some outliers.Â*Â* Right now the lowest is 2.99, most of the bunch
is at
that price.Â*Â* Also the lowest prices are almost always at the same
places,
eg Costco.Â* So using Gas Buddy around home isn't that useful, but it
is when
traveling out of the area.

I used to fill up any time passing through NJ but that advantage went
away a year or two ago.Â* Heading north, I think the last cheap gas is VA.

People come from nearby PA and NJ to buy gas here in Delaware where gas
tax is lower. I did pay $2.85 yesterday because of the hacked pipeline.
No stations where closed but I heard of a few that only had high test
available.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "frank says...

People come from nearby PA and NJ to buy gas here in Delaware where gas
tax is lower. I did pay $2.85 yesterday because of the hacked pipeline.
No stations where closed but I heard of a few that only had high test
available.

The TV news was reporting about a 75% outage in NC. From the GasBuddy
listings in the county I live in, that seems about right.
The price is from $ 2.58 to $ 2.99 a gallon for the low end gas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 May 2021 10:06:09 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

And remember, at 8 cents a LITER that is3.78X.o8= $0.30 per american
gallon - or roughly 10% at $3 per gallon/

At $1.20 per liter that difference would be 12 cents a liter
difference for the same percentage.

8 cents a liter is about 7% at $1.20 per l,iter

State taxes vary. When I lived in CT I would buy gas when I went to MA
and save 20 cents, but I crossed the border every day for work, etc.
Again, the state varies but station to station was minimal and I passed
on the the cheapest on my way to work.

OK. so I went to the Gas Buddy web site. It did find me gas that was 20
cents cheaper and it is about 100 miles away. I'd bur 4 gallons to save $3.

Glad it works for you, but does not for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Back in the early '70s we had somre gas wars - but there was a
stretch of Highway 6 between Cambrifge and Hamilton wherre the gas was
always cheaper - cheap enough I could drive from elmira to hamilton
fillup going down and again coming back, and save enough onthe gas to
pay for the trip if I left home with less than 1/4 tank. That was when
Iwas paying $0.496 a gallon at home driving a valiant or dart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Down here the price seems to gain a nickel every 6-10 miles or so from
Ft Myers where it is cheapest to Naples where it is most expensive.
There are also a few independent "shop and rob" places that are
consistently a dime or more higher than anyone around them. I am not
sure how they sell any gas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

About the same time, there was a real gas war in one suburb near
Detroit. I bought gas there for $.20/gallon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:
[...]

Because a buck fifty isn't worth the time and inconvienence of
checking a dozen stations for the cheapest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 9:45:36 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 05/13/2021 07:26 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
I just got back from a trip to Illinois. The lowest price I paid for the 10% ethanol blend was $2.70/gallon. That was in Platte City, MO north of Kansas City. The lowest price I noticed along I-70 was $2.75/gallon. I think that was around Oak Grove, MO. It's about a fourth of the way from KC to Columbia.
It seems to be costing about $2.90/gallon in southeast/south central Nebraska.

I think the last time I bought gas it was $2.79. Tonight I noticed the
signs were reading $3.15. We're a hell of a long way from the Colonial
pipeline but any excuse is good for the traditional Memorial Day ramp up.

It just hit $2.95 in my nearest town in Nebraska. There were places along my route from St. Louis
that diesel was cheaper than gasoline. Ain't that sumthin?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
news
writes:
[...]

You don’t have to check multiple stations anymore, just use
an app to tell you the prices at the ones close enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just got back from a trip to Illinois. The lowest price I paid for the 10% ethanol blend was $2.70/gallon. That was in Platte City, MO north of Kansas City. The lowest price I noticed along I-70 was $2.75/gallon. I think that was around Oak Grove, MO. It's about a fourth of the way from KC to Columbia.
It seems to be costing about $2.90/gallon in southeast/south central Nebraska.

I use Gas Buddy to check fuel prices, not only for my area but for any area
around the country.

Here's Platte City, MO, for example, still at about $2.70.
https://www.gasbuddy.com/home?search=platte%20city%2C%20mo&fuel=1&maxAge=0& method=

I use the Gas Buddy app on my smartphone, but the web site works, too. The
site and the app are free, and using them to find gas prices is also free.

Do you find any real value to using it?

In my local area? No, not any more, but when we had just moved here it was
interesting to see which stations _consistently_ had cheaper gas. We've
been here two years now, so I know where to go. Even so, I sometimes fire
it up on my phone just out of curiosity.

In my area, any station in 20 miles is within 5 cents.

Checking just now, the spread in my area is 40 cents. That seems to be
pretty typical around here.

On a trip, if you get off the highway and are
willing to travel a few miles you can save 10 cents away from the
interstate.
A typical fill for me is about 15 gallons. How far is it worth
traveling to save 75 cents? I burn 11 cents a mile at current prices.

I agree with you there. If you stop and do the math, a few cents a gallon
aren't going to make a big difference. I wanted to top off the pickup
yesterday so I stopped at one of my main stations. Their credit card
readers were down, so rather than pay cash I went across the street where
gas was 2 cents a gallon higher, $2.65 versus $2.63. I put in 8 gallons, so
the difference was 16 cents.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/14/2021 06:27 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 9:45:36 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 05/13/2021 07:26 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
I just got back from a trip to Illinois. The lowest price I paid for the 10% ethanol blend was $2.70/gallon. That was in Platte City, MO north of Kansas City. The lowest price I noticed along I-70 was $2.75/gallon. I think that was around Oak Grove, MO. It's about a fourth of the way from KC to Columbia.
It seems to be costing about $2.90/gallon in southeast/south central Nebraska.

I think the last time I bought gas it was $2.79. Tonight I noticed the
signs were reading $3.15. We're a hell of a long way from the Colonial
pipeline but any excuse is good for the traditional Memorial Day ramp up.

It just hit $2.95 in my nearest town in Nebraska. There were places along my route from St. Louis
that diesel was cheaper than gasoline. Ain't that sumthin?

I remember in the early 2000's some guys bought diesel pickups because
it was cheaper. Then suddenly it wasn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000s_energy_crisis

If I were cynical I'd say the governments play us like violins.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 9:27:02 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I just got back from a trip to Illinois. The lowest price I paid for the 10% ethanol blend was $2.70/gallon. That was in Platte City, MO north of Kansas City. The lowest price I noticed along I-70 was $2.75/gallon. I think that was around Oak Grove, MO. It's about a fourth of the way from KC to Columbia.
It seems to be costing about $2.90/gallon in southeast/south central Nebraska.

I don't pay attention to gas prices. I generally gas up at the station nearest
my house.

Ok, I pay attention to the price enough to note that shortly after the pump
detects my credit card, the price drops about 10 cents per gallon.

Conversely, they seem to have some kind of surveillance on my gas gauge,
and raise it when I'm about due for a fill-up.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/15/21 5:17 AM, wrote:
I don't pay attention to gas prices. I generally gas up at the station nearest
my house.

We all know you're a wealthy lib. You need to work on being less white.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/15/2021 5:17 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 9:27:02 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I just got back from a trip to Illinois. The lowest price I paid for the 10% ethanol blend was $2.70/gallon. That was in Platte City, MO north of Kansas City. The lowest price I noticed along I-70 was $2.75/gallon. I think that was around Oak Grove, MO. It's about a fourth of the way from KC to Columbia.
It seems to be costing about $2.90/gallon in southeast/south central Nebraska.

I don't pay attention to gas prices. I generally gas up at the station nearest
my house.

Ok, I pay attention to the price enough to note that shortly after the pump
detects my credit card, the price drops about 10 cents per gallon.

Conversely, they seem to have some kind of surveillance on my gas gauge,
and raise it when I'm about due for a fill-up.

Cindy Hamilton

Now with electronic signs they can change price on a whim.
I recall a station I would pass changing as much as 10 cents more in a
couple of hours after I first passed it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 15, 2021 at 6:32:54 AM UTC-4, Larry wrote:
On 5/15/21 5:17 AM, wrote:
I don't pay attention to gas prices. I generally gas up at the station nearest
my house.

We all know you're a wealthy lib. You need to work on being less white.

What's your definition of "wealthy"?

And I doubt that anyone who has advocated the sterilization of welfare
recipients (as I have) can truly be called "a lib".

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 May 2021 02:17:13 -0700 (PDT), posted for all
of us to digest...

I don't pay attention to gas prices. I generally gas up at the station nearest
my house.

Ok, I pay attention to the price enough to note that shortly after the pump
detects my credit card, the price drops about 10 cents per gallon.

Conversely, they seem to have some kind of surveillance on my gas gauge,
and raise it when I'm about due for a fill-up.

Cindy Hamilton

I thought that I was the only one that had that sensor embedded...

Mine also works on traffic lights. It ALWAYS turns them red for me.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/15/2021 02:48 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

On Sat, 15 May 2021 02:17:13 -0700 (PDT), posted for all
of us to digest...

I don't pay attention to gas prices. I generally gas up at the station nearest
my house.

Ok, I pay attention to the price enough to note that shortly after the pump
detects my credit card, the price drops about 10 cents per gallon.

Conversely, they seem to have some kind of surveillance on my gas gauge,
and raise it when I'm about due for a fill-up.

Cindy Hamilton

I thought that I was the only one that had that sensor embedded...

Mine also works on traffic lights. It ALWAYS turns them red for me.

I love the lights that only turn if they sense someone at the stop line.
Someone in a SUV, that is, not on a bike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 May 2021 22:11:50 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I remember

Oh, no! Yet more senile blather!

FLUSH
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 May 2021 11:17:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Who or What is Rod Speed?
man" on the InterNet."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

All conversions in place the Shell station arounf the corner is $US
3.83 a gallon this afternoon. $3.68 over at Costco about 4 miles
away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 May 2021 17:30:12 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I love the lights that only turn if they sense someone at the stop line.
Someone in a SUV, that is, not on a bike.

Suppose they always turn green when you appear, just so they no longer have
to hear your endless gossiping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 May 2021 17:30:12 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

On 05/15/2021 02:48 PM, Tekkie? wrote:

On Sat, 15 May 2021 02:17:13 -0700 (PDT), posted for all
of us to digest...

I don't pay attention to gas prices. I generally gas up at the station nearest
my house.

Ok, I pay attention to the price enough to note that shortly after the pump
detects my credit card, the price drops about 10 cents per gallon.

Conversely, they seem to have some kind of surveillance on my gas gauge,
and raise it when I'm about due for a fill-up.

Cindy Hamilton

I thought that I was the only one that had that sensor embedded...

Mine also works on traffic lights. It ALWAYS turns them red for me.

I love the lights that only turn if they sense someone at the stop line.
Someone in a SUV, that is, not on a bike.

Understood, PA is like that. I used to try to get on the loop if a bike was in
front of me so it would trip.

The area I live in is getting rid of the loops in favor of cameras that detect
objects in the field of vision. It senses bikes fine. It does not record plates
or drivers faces for enforcement. Also sonar is used to detect traffic
movement, we want people to get out of here as quickly as possible... The state
also requires us to have traffic preemption devices to give priority to
emergency vehicles. Turns all lights red except for the EV which is green. The
cost of traffic signals is about $100k depending on the posts. Then you have
maintenance. When the power goes out the fire co. has to haul out generators to
power the lights otherwise the fire police are out there in all kinds of
weather forever. Drivers don't know they are supposed to stop for a broken
light.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 May 2021 16:18:21 -0400, Tekkie©
wrote:

[...]

That is for each individual light, not the whole intersection. They
are paying about a million bucks for a "light" here at the entrance of
Lowes.

When the power goes out the fire co. has to haul out generators to
power the lights otherwise the fire police are out there in all kinds of
weather forever. Drivers don't know they are supposed to stop for a broken
light.

I have never seen that here or in Maryland. They may put a cop there
but usually it is just a free for all
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/17/2021 02:18 PM, Tekkie� wrote:
The area I live in is getting rid of the loops in favor of cameras that detect
objects in the field of vision. It senses bikes fine. It does not record plates
or drivers faces for enforcement. Also sonar is used to detect traffic
movement, we want people to get out of here as quickly as possible... The state
also requires us to have traffic preemption devices to give priority to
emergency vehicles. Turns all lights red except for the EV which is green. The
cost of traffic signals is about $100k depending on the posts. Then you have
maintenance. When the power goes out the fire co. has to haul out generators to
power the lights otherwise the fire police are out there in all kinds of
weather forever. Drivers don't know they are supposed to stop for a broken
light.

https://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...654a6cf4f.html

Another little Montana quirk... No RealID, no COVID passport, no
testicles in the girls' sports, no Biden magazine bans, etc. Funny thing
is both the Democratic and Republican governors tell DC to screw off.

They does have the preemption devices. The one that drives me crazy is
an intersection I go through almost every day. If I go straight I have
to make a left turn. If I stay in the left turn lane I make a right turn
to get to the same place which is more efficient.

The straight ahead signal changes first. Sometimes the left turn signal
changes at the same time. Sometimes it's a minute or more. Damned if I
ever figured out the logic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 May 2021 21:22:41 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

https://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...654a6cf4f.html

Another little Montana quirk... No RealID, no COVID passport, no
testicles in the girls' sports, no Biden magazine bans, etc. Funny thing
is both the Democratic and Republican governors tell DC to screw off.

AGAIN, senile bigmouth: WTF has all your sick senile drivel got to do with a
ng like ahr?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 May 2021 21:22:41 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

[...]

It depends when you trigger the signal. I know the light near me does the same
thing. The state determines the timing, they have eng-inears to figure it all
out...

--
Tekkie