Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default OT: Customs duty, a cautionary tale

On 14/05/2021 13:07, Fredxx wrote:
On 14/05/2021 10:59, nightjar wrote:
On 13/05/2021 19:05, Tim Streater wrote:
On 13 May 2021 at 16:42:41 BST, nightjar wrote:

On 13/05/2021 16:03, Fredxx wrote:
Â* On 13/05/2021 15:24, nightjar wrote:
Â* On 13/05/2021 14:05, wrote:
Â* Recently, I ordered something (costing about £700) from the Czech
Â* republic and have just been sent a demand for £143 duty and
handling
Â* from DHL. My choices are to refuse the shipment, which means I get
Â* refunded less shipping charges, or pay. Bu&&er!

Â* One of the consequences of Brexit.
Â* The consequence is you pay UK VAT and not Czech VAT.

In addition, like the OP, you also get a bill for customs duty, which
was not something you needed to pay wile we were part of the Customs
Union.

Indeed, we just paid it in bulk instead. £350 million per second, or
century,
or something, wasn't it? Which included the markup to pay for all
those other
nations with their snouts in the EU trough.

Totally unrelated. Customs duty is a levy HM government makes on us
for buying from abroad. While we were still in the Customs Union, the
EU did not count as abroad for the purposes of duty.

Where local or other VAT was chargeable.

At least customs duty now goes to the UK Treasury for items imported
into the UK. Before Brexit any customs duty went straight to Brussels,
apart from a small admin fee.

Before Brexit, we were in a Customs Union with the EU, which meant there
was no customs duty charged by anybody on sales within the EU. It is an
entirely new cost for imports from the EU; a direct result of Brexit and
quite separate from VAT. UK VAT is still payable on the imports.

--
Colin Bignell