Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Bennet[_2_] Andy Bennet[_2_] is offline

Default Question about water-based paint

On 13/05/2021 21:45, Scott wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2021 20:41:33 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

On 13/05/2021 20:09, Scott wrote:
The instructions say that water-based paint should not be allowed to
freeze. Does this mean it *will* be damaged by low temperatures or
that it *may* be damaged by low temperatures? In other words, if the
paint looks and feels okay, can it still be used or should it not be
used if it has been subjected to sub-zero temperatures?

Did it acually freeze is the first qustion.

I don't know as it was outside and I was inside at the time so I have
no way of telling.

That known, either ask the
manufacturer, or paint a test panel and see how it turns out, or both.

If I paint a test panel and it looks and feels okay, does this prove
that it is okay in the longer term with no risk of premature failure
due to damage to the paint?

Well once you have painted it and the water has evaporated I imagine you
would then expect it to survive freezing temperatures. Therefor I would
assume it is the water content that is at risk - probably due to
expanding and rupturing a full tin which makes itself known when the
temperature warms again. I derive this from simple logic and have no
direct experiance of the matter.