Caliban

Default Title Search & Title Insurance Questions

Interesting site, even if it is by a company undoubtedly paid for by title
companies and with, ahem, self-interests. ;-)

Today I learned that where I am title insurance costs about 1% of the home
value. My jaw hit the ground, as I was unprepared for this.

Slowly I'm coming around to accepting the high cost: Racket. Capitalism.
Business. Life. Stinks sometimes but for god's sake never forget to count
the blessings. :-)

Not that this will keep me from fighting tooth and nail the legal industry
on many counts. :-)

"Ovid" wrote
Try reading he

http://www.titleanswers.com/horror.shtml

Don't be cheap. Buy the insurance. It is the best investment you will
probably never need. I bought a house in march and paid for it gladly.
-O
Let us know how it goes for you!

"Caliban" wrote in message
arthlink.net...
When purchasing a house (assume it's a cash payment, with no mortgage):

Is who pays for the title search usually a negotiable point in the

contract?

What does a title company do for the money paid to it? Would a real

estate
attorney paid to do a title search do the same thing?

How much does title insurance cost?

Are there ever fairly good reasons not to purchase title insurance?

(Sarcasm
will be laughed at and then ignored. :-) )

What are some steps to take to prevent a title company from ripping a

buyer
off with extraneous, inappropriate fees? (I already plan to ask for a
complete breakdown of the title fees.) For what extraneous,

inappropriate
fees should I keep my eyes peeled?

I have been studying these subjects on the internet and have begun to

query
a buyer's agent about them. But I find others' personal experiences are
always helpful.