Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Most absurd lie on a product

On 12/05/2021 19:50, Commander Kinsey wrote:
All product specs are lies. The CPU cooler in this computer claims it
will cool a 300W CPU. Mine gives off only 140W, and that gives a
temperature rise of 55C, according to both my readings and those of 3
review sites. 300W would cause a temperature difference of 120C, so to
keep it below the usual maximum of 100C, you'd need a room temperature
of -20.

Could it be that the cooler *would* be able to handle a CPU that dissipated
more power, but its fan is thermostatically controlled to cut out / reduce
speed once an acceptable temperature is reached. My CPU runs at about 50 deg
C. Occasionally the temperature rises and I hear the fan go to
jet-aircraft-at-takeoff speed to cool the CPU, then reduce to normal once
the temp is back in acceptable limits to avoid a continuous loud noise.