aaa

Default Idea for crawl INSULATION falling down

What would be the problems encountered it I used foil faced foam ?
I now would have 2 vapor barriers.
One with the craft faced insulation facing the subfloor, and the other
being foil on the foam facing the earth of the crawl.
Has it ever been done ?
I cannot believe this has not been addressed by some major
manufacturer.

Someone I talked with suggested weed barrier.

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:08:56 GMT, "Art"
wrote:

The site I saw about crawl space reversed the concept of vented crawl
spaces. In most climates, they figured out, there was no point in having
moist outside warm air go under your cool crawlspace and leave condensate.
They were now recommending foam insulation on the walls and a support layer
to hold up fiberglass insulation instead of using wires.

"bill" wrote in message
m...
Someone suggested chicken wire, which would work fine. Keep in mind that
some of other materials could create a vapor barrier on the wrong side of
the
insulation. Except for the cost, Tyvek would OK and reduce air
infiltration.
Doubtful, though, that there is enough energy loss to justify the $$.
Bill

"aaa" wrote in message
20 year old house that has insulation falling as it is coming apart in
some areas due to age of insulation in crawl space. This is not very
servere, but looks bad and will probably get worse. Scale of 1 to 10
I would say a 3. I could replace the insulation or just add pushing
the old up into the void, use more of those wire struts, but thought
of a maybe better idea.
Insulation is really not in that bad of shape. Sometimes wires fall
out and allow insulation to fall too.
What if I bought some of this:
http://www.aeromfg.com.au/styrofanfold.html
"Plastic / Plastic
Dow High Performance Underlayment P/P is a water resistant Blue
extruded foam insulation sheet which is heat bonded between strong
plastic film facers and pin-perforated.
Available in 6 mm (1/4") thickness. (9.5 mm to order) and supplied as
a fanfold pack 15.25m (50') x 1.22m (4'). Folded at 0.61m (2') centres
for easy handling."

If I cut it into 4 foot lengths, I could fit it between the joists.
Result would be a neater appearance, no falling insulation ever, and a
smooth surface. This would be a cheaper approach than using those
large pink foamboards. Anybody seen this done ???
I have seen insulation made at one time that had a webbing around it
that held the insulation together and prevented sagging over time. I
have not seen it at the hardware stores in a long time.

Comments, thoughts ???