Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Mostly Vegan - Ping Tim

In message , RJH
writes
On 12 May 2021 at 09:31:02 BST, "Spike" wrote:

On 12/05/2021 08:10, Tim Lamb wrote:
Tim Streater writes

Look, if you're that bothered by your planetary footprint, you
could always
cease to exist. That way, you could avoid the production of around half a
ton
of CO2 each year.

I'm curious about this 60,000 litres of water business. I suppose it
could be linked to the rainfall on an acre or so of grass?

It probably stems from a wild over-exaggeration of the sort T i m has
provided us with for quite some time now.

Possibly - could you share your source? I'd add that I made the claim, not
Tim. Happy to be corrected.

The estimates I generated from a variety of sources gave cow's milk 600 - 1000
litres of water per litre of milk. There is a bundle of variables that inform
where on the scale it is. I chose 628l in anticipation :-) (ref. Poore and
Nemecek)

Ok. Rob. I wasn't having a pop at you. My father had a herd of dairy
cows for most of his working life. From 1960 onwards on a metered
supply. 600-1000litres/ litre does not come out of a tap! I guess
someone has totted up the rainfall producing the dairy ration? In Texas
it may come out of a borehole which is a different consideration.

Oat milk about a tenth of cow's milk. But that's partly due to irrigation.

--
Tim Lamb