Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Why are revlimiters uneven?

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 06 May 2021 18:40:32 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 06 May 2021 00:18:29 +0100, TMS320 wrote:

On 05/05/2021 19:35, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 04 May 2021 03:01:29 +0100, rbowman
wrote:

On 05/03/2021 10:13 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Is it to warn you? Even my toilet cistern can slow down smoothly.

On cars? Yes. Cutting the engine abruptly when you hit the red line
wouldn't be good so they simulate ignition breakup to give you a
hint.

But at that point you've already gone over the peak of the power
curve.
I'd just make it drop the curve more quickly so it can never go too
fast. The driver would still feel the lack of power.

Engines that run stochiometric have to be all or nothing. Diesel are
smoothly limited. It ought to be possible to smooth limit stratified
petrol but I don't know from experience because mine just shifts up and
keeps going.

It must be possible, all it has to do is what you would do if you wanted
to hold it there - adjust how far you press the accelerator. I guess
that
gets more expensive as it would have to have a bit of intelligence to
monitor how much it had throttled it. But aren't most modern cars
already
throttle controlled through a circuit board?

Still easier to just cut the sparks instead of tweaking whats injected.

Easier yes, but I wouldn't have thought it was drastically easier,
especially since the engine is already computer monitored and controlled
for a variety of other things.

And easier to indicate to the driver that the system is limiting
the revs in a way that only a technoklutz could ignore.

The driver doesn't need to know,

They do because otherwise they will be telling mechanics
something goes wrong at the higher revs.

provided it's not harmful to reach the revs it limits at.

And you havent fixed the uk.diy in this thread.

You already did it for me.

But I cant with the others you reply to in this thread like the turnip.

Or if this is the second thread I made like that, it's because I typed it
wrong again.

Yes you did.

I can't get out of that habit.

You mostly do get it right.

and I know of no way in this newsreader to post to multiple groups without
typing them in.

Dunno. With mine you can select from a list of the
groups you have subscribed to or type it in.