Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Garage Roof Advice

"newshound" wrote in message
On 10/05/2021 21:47, Rod Speed wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message

Metal sheet comes in a range of thicknesses and geometries. The thinnest
(eBay) lasts pretty well, it is light and pretty easy to cut and fix. If
in a windy area you need to make sure the edges are well fixed down.

imo metal decking works much better. Happy with a very low slope
and since the clips are attached to the rafters first, well retained
after
you button punch the decking onto the retaining clips. Lasts much
longer than anything else except stuff like copper or zinc sheet.

Not sure how the proper farming/industrial stuff over here is fixed down.

You screw the retaining clips onto the rafters. The decking snaps
onto the retaining clips and then you button punch the narrow
vertical upstanding part of the decking with a thing that looks
like a big metal cutter.
http://www.steel.com.au/products/coa...deckform-steel

The cheap stuff that I have used is just screwed through the high spots
with a sort of domed plastic cap over the screws.

The other approach works better because you can see the rafters
when adding the clips and is easier to get the strip of decking off
if you need access to the electrical wiring or plumbing underneath.

I agree, it doesn't need much slope for water but of course here we also
need to cater for snow.

Sure, but with a replacement roof thats already been
ignored and metal decking is much stronger than the
alternative so will be fine with snow on it.