Art

Default Idea for crawl INSULATION falling down

Yep and I saw a new recommendation a few months ago at some government site
they you use that high density sheathing foam to hold up the fiiberglass
insualtion and seal it off from moisture in the crawl space.

"aaa" wrote in message
Just thought of something.
Don't they insulate the block walls of some crawlspaces with foam ???

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 22:30:09 -0400, aaa wrote:

Good point.
Now I'm back to square one.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 22:25:44 -0400, "New & Improved - N/F John"
wrote:

I would avoid the foam since it is flamable. I don't think you would

ever
have a fire under there but foam is not suppose to be visible.

"aaa" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for the replys.
This is more of a tidying up project down there rather than an
efficiency improvement project.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:31:09 -0400, "Michael Baugh"
wrote:

I saw that someone had used tobacco bed cover that
he'd gotten from Southern States.
Another had driven some roofing nails in the floor joists, ran
baling twine back and forth to form a grid.
You lose about 5% of your heat through the floor. Don't be
heroic about it.

Art wrote in message
link.net...
I saw a guy use netting to put up crawl space insulation. Much

better
than
wires because you avoid the compression. DOn't know where he got

the
netting though. And I suppose if you had some wiring or plumbing to

do
you
might have to take some down.

"aaa" wrote in message
20 year old house that has insulation falling as it is coming

apart
in
some areas due to age of insulation in crawl space. This is not

very
servere, but looks bad and will probably get worse. Scale of 1

to 10
I would say a 3. I could replace the insulation or just add

pushing
the old up into the void, use more of those wire struts, but

thought
of a maybe better idea.
Insulation is really not in that bad of shape. Sometimes wires

fall
out and allow insulation to fall too.
What if I bought some of this:
http://www.aeromfg.com.au/styrofanfold.html
"Plastic / Plastic
Dow High Performance Underlayment P/P is a water resistant Blue
extruded foam insulation sheet which is heat bonded between

strong
plastic film facers and pin-perforated.
Available in 6 mm (1/4") thickness. (9.5 mm to order) and

supplied as
a fanfold pack 15.25m (50') x 1.22m (4'). Folded at 0.61m (2')
centres
for easy handling."

If I cut it into 4 foot lengths, I could fit it between the

joists.
Result would be a neater appearance, no falling insulation ever,

and
smooth surface. This would be a cheaper approach than using

those
large pink foamboards. Anybody seen this done ???
I have seen insulation made at one time that had a webbing around

it
that held the insulation together and prevented sagging over

time. I
have not seen it at the hardware stores in a long time.

Comments, thoughts ???