Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Knackered wind turbine

On 08/05/2021 20:34, newshound wrote:
On 08/05/2021 16:41, ARW wrote:
On 08/05/2021 08:54, Richard wrote:
On 07/05/2021 18:49, ARW wrote:
Passed it on the way home today.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...inefailure.jpg

https://goo.gl/maps/7EBknYb84rb1BDG37

shows the location.

Nasty scratch that. Car body filler?

What you cannot see on that photo (as I was driving when I took it) is
that the blade has split into two. Half of it is hanging down the
front of the tower but as it is white on white you cannot see it.

Manufacturing defect, bird-strike, overspeed, or any combination of
these by the sound of it.

If you were an engineer, where would you most not want to put a large
dangerous piece of rotating machinery?

On the end of a cantilever shaft, out in the elements, subject to bird
strikes, insect build up, ice build up, marine spray in a high intensity
magnetic field, subject to gust loading and going in and out of
multispeed boundary layers. And 100 meters up in the air and from any
maintenance staff and equipment.

Especially when the alternative was in a nice environmentally stable
turbine hall, on finely balanced beam and centre bearing mounted shafts,
fully enclosed and subject to a constant onrush of steam...and with a
gantry crane already there to replace it if anything goes wrong...

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft