Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric Kettles

On 08/05/2021 19:22, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Fri, 07 May 2021 13:26:31 +0100, tim... wrote:

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 07/05/2021 08:13, tim... wrote:

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
The element in our Russell Hobs kettle failed after the equivalent of
3-4 years use. The heating element is under the water container and
does not appear to be removable, unlike older kettles where the
element was in the water and could be replaced.

Many new kettles are of a similar design to the one that has failed,
so I
thought I should buy a cheap one as it also probably can't be
repaired.
was able to get a cheap £12 one from Tesco. It has a slightly lower
power rating, 2.2Kw and a much higher minimum water level. I wonder
how well it will last

12 pounds!

you woz done

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/305877709

Looks like it's got one of those hinged lids - the type which break off
366 days after purchase. I've given up buying kettles with hinged lids,
especially those which are spring-operated by a button on the handle. I
prefer those with "old-fashioned" completely removable lids. No hinge,
no button, no spring - mechanically robust, in other words.

wouldn't know

I fill it up through the pouring hole

empty it through the pouring hole

simples

Spot on!

Whilst the lid mechanism on these Cookware 1.7l 3KW jug kettles seem to
be engineered well enough and have never been a point of failure
(probably because we rarely pop the lids open on these models for
filling), this last variant we purchased yesterday doesn't sport quite as
wide a spout as its predecessors making it slightly more inclined to wet
the outside when filling it through the spout.

Thankfully, a few extra drips don't represent an electrical safety issue
with their docking stations, just a few extra drips on the kitchen
worktop is all. The slightly smaller spout is more a minor irritation
than any real nuisance.

Incidentally, like its predecessor, the lid on the new kettle only pops
open by 45 degrees on the button release press, requiring the lid to be
manually pushed into the full 85 degree up position which still leaves it
a little awkward to fill. The swing up lid only comes into its own for
replacing the seemingly unobtainable replacement filter, otherwise it's
essentially just an ornamental feature in practice.

My lid doesn't pop up. I just lift it up. Really, why make an expensive
fragile mechanism just to lift a lid you can lift with your other hand?
Marketing and 'creeping featurism'.

Lucas Bergkamp