Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OLED TV.

Samsung make a lot of the Oled screens these days, Even Apples I gather,
which is why its takingtime to return the fingerprint unlocking feature
everyone likes, as its going to be under screen. Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
.. .

Anyone got one and care to advise?

I have a LG model...

My new laptop has an OLED screen, and is so much better than the previous
LCD. Especially not changing with viewing angle.

Yup the big wins are massive contrast ratios, and very wide viewing angle.
Nicer to vie in low light as well, with no backlight bleed through.

Downsides include slightly lower peak brightness[1] than some backlit
sets, a screen that can accumulate some patchy "noise" visible in dim
areas (it tends to clear itself, and the sets usually have an option to
wipe it). There is also a possibility of something akin to screen burn on
areas where a static bright graphics is held for too long - that can
reduce the output of a colour in a area)

[1] This will only matter in high ambient brightness viewing conditions,
and the much improved contrast tends to compensate anyway. HDR content is
stunningly better on OLED than backlit IME.

I have looked at what's available, but not sure why the price varies so
much for the same size. And why there are so many variations from the
same
maker.

There are not that many makers of the panels themselves, so I guess each
manufacture has to find a way to differentiate their product when they
can't use image quality alone as a USP. You will pay more for higher end
processors, and more elaborate sound systems, plus multiple tuners etc
(many will have both DVBT2 and DVBS now).

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |