Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric Kettles

I have to say, I've not seen that effect at all, At least the base
connectors seem to be standard as I just swapped my spare Morphy Richards
with my main one of Tefal Design and they fit, albeit the smooth lines do
not match up from one to the other!

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Nick Odell" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 6 May 2021 23:28:04 +0100, Michael Chare
wrote:

The element in our Russell Hobs kettle failed after the equivalent of
3-4 years use. The heating element is under the water container and
does not appear to be removable, unlike older kettles where the element
was in the water and could be replaced.

Many new kettles are of a similar design to the one that has failed, so
I thought I should buy a cheap one as it also probably can't be
repaired. I was able to get a cheap £12 one from Tesco. It has a
slightly lower power rating, 2.2Kw and a much higher minimum water
level. I wonder how well it will last

Have others had similar problems with this type of kettle?

Do you mean the cordless "kettle-shaped" model with a very heavy base
with the elements built in? I have one of those and the kettle itself
hasn't caused any problems but the plastic base with the mains
connector has gradually sunken under the weight and heat so that,
several years later the contacts no longer make -erme- contact. I like
the kettle - and it wasn't cheap! - so I have a little project on to
mould the base back into shape and reinforce it with more plastic
inside. A lot of fuss over an old kettle? That's what retirement is
for isn't it? Now.. ... where did I put my set of spool clamps?

Nick