Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric Kettles

On 08/05/2021 11:16, JohnP wrote:
Michael Chare wrote in
:

On 07/05/2021 11:28, JohnP wrote:

I was quite concerned about this move toward legislation to make
things repairable. Higher costs and bulkier items will be to result -
as well as incompetent people causing accidents. A spot weld is
probably better than a screw and is more compact.

I would certainly like to be able to download a manual for my washing
machine that would tell me how it works. If it stops mid cycle I
would like to know what it is waiting for. The last I bought can be
controlled via a mobile phone using NFC. I have never seen the point
of this, but if I could connect the machine to my wifi and then get
full diagnostic information I would find that useful.

Just understanding the logic is a big help. Plumbers and Boilers comes to
mind. Many only seem to be able to relate to an old type of system. Even a
motorised valve seems to flumox them.

It's a good job I can look after my own heating system - I can't see the
average plumber understanding the motorised valve and timer/stat per
room, with mains operated valves, battery powered stats and 12V
switching via relays, with my own, home made PCBs.