Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default Electric Kettles

On 08/05/2021 04:04, Rod Speed wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
Nick Odell wrote:

The best tip I know of to preserve long life in a cordless kettle is
always to make sure it is switched off before removing it from the
base. It's pretty common to find that the switch contacts are plated
to resist pitting from arcing but the base contacts are not - with the
inevitable consequences.
(Mode/)

Yeah but, Ive never had one fail due to arcing.

I never have any arcing. The on off button on
the base of the kettle eliminates any arcing.

Do you mean the one you push down to switch it on, or the one inside the
base that isolated the contacts when there is no kettle on the base?

There's also arcing of the contacts between the two parts.

It's not clear which contacts break first.

--
Max Demian