Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default I am being told that vertical radiators are not as efficient forthe same volumetric flow as horizontal radiators.

On 07/05/2021 08:12, alan_m wrote:
On 06/05/2021 23:19, David Wade wrote:
On 06/05/2021 16:49, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 06/05/2021 12:55, jon wrote:

What is this nonsense, heat is dissipated by radiation, convection or
conduction so how come efficiency becomes a problem.

Efficacy?

I suppose the issue is that hot air rises. Vertical radiators heat the
upper layers, so you can end up with a layer of cold air near the
floor, which is where you sit...

Dave

It's one of the reasons to put a horizontal radiator under a window to
help prevent the cold flow of air at foot level.Â* The cold air flow
caused by the window is met with the rising hot air flow from the
radiator thus circulation only warm air. Having cold feet can make you
feel a lot colder that it actually is.

That is my policy too. I once lived in a house where the radiator was on
the other side of the room, and you could feel the cold air simply
dropping from the window.