Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Water tower to dwelling

NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Robin wrote
ARW wrote
Andy Burns wrote
RJH wrote
ARW wrote

It also looks like level 1 has an outside door.

It does - no door shown on the plans. Maybe it a full height window.

Seems to have a letter-flap at the bottom ...

Pretty sure that is just protection tape.

But there seems to be no opening windows.

I'd have thought the architects might have included at least one set of
wide doors to winch up furnishings, white goods and replacement fixtures
rather than rely on the spiral staircase.

Most architects are too stupid to consider basic stuff like that.

Or even the disabled or doddery elderly.

I had a friend who knew a family who lived in Russia, in a tower block.
Apparently when everyone moved in to the new building, the lifts were
turned off by "De Management" (Hale and Pace) so the lifts wouldn't get
damaged by all the furniture and washing machines. People had to carry
everything up the stairs. The lifts were only turned on when everyone's
furniture was in place. If anyone moved (De Management knew when and
where) the lifts were turned off for a couple of days during the moving
process.

Fark.

Temporary hessian padding in the lifts

Or what removalists use, but on the walls.

would have protected the insides from getting dented and scuffed, but that
was not The Right Solution.

Yeah, glad I have never lived anywhere like that.