Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default How deep into the wood should a screw go?

On 5/5/2021 8:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 8:33:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 5 May 2021 14:29:45 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 4:45:06 PM UTC-4, jboisver wrote:
A good rule of thumb is that the screw should drive through to about half the thickness of the bottom piece. So a 1" thick piece being screwed to a 2" thick piece should have a 2" screw.

I need to hang some 1/4 luan on a 6 x 12 beam. I guess I need a 6 screw.

Oh...wait...the bottom piece will be the luan. I only need a 1/8 screw.

A 1/2" screw for 1/4" material is bad enough.

Tom Silva suggests...

"e. To determine the appropriate size screw to use for a project,
take the thickness of the material being attached and pick a
screw thats roughly 2.5x that."

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/2109718...-decode-screws

So a screw into 3/4" material attached to another 3/4" material should
be 1-7/8" long?

LOL

I replied to the first guy, but should have added not longer than 3
times the thickness of the material to be attached.