Posted to alt.home.repair
Wade Garrett Wade Garrett is offline

Default OT. College Loan Forgiveness

On 5/5/21 12:43 PM, Frank wrote:
On 5/5/2021 10:00 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 5/5/21 9:40 AM, Frank wrote:
On 5/5/2021 8:52 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
This John Stossel article claims about a third of college enrollees
don't graduate after six years.Â* Why doesn't it dawn on them that
they aren't going to make it long before then?Â* Beer and women?
People expected to be out in four years way back when I was college
age. That would've been in the 1970s.
Â*Â* It points to a woman who decided she couldn't afford college and
went to welding school instead.Â*Â* She's making $3,000/week.Â*Â* She
may well be an exception but there is work for people who get dirty.
https://www.wnd.com/2021/05/hardworking-taxpayers-bail-privileged-students/

Â*Â*Â*Â* My brother claims small engine repair shops in Omaha, NE have
waiting lists of weeks.Â* People don't want to mess with lawnmower or
snowblower repair.Â* There still are the old fashioned welding/repair
shops in my area.

I read that this morning and agree with Stossel.

Also, what happens when the government starts pumping money into it?
It gets more expensive that's what happens.

I went to college to learn and with summer jobs, living at home and a
little help from dad graduated college with no debt for me or dad.
Same for grad school with a teaching assistantship and in last year a
fellowship I graduated with no debt.

Now you have kids going to college just to get a degree.Â* They get
them in art history, women's studies, etc which are completely
useless in the work force.Â* College costs sour with availability of
loans and when the government took over the loan business they
skyrocketed.

Pretty much the same here.

Back in the 60's, I lived at home, attended a local private
university, worked a lot of hours at the US Post Office (before it
became the US Postal Service) at a pay rate just over twice the
minimum wage-- then a buck an hour-- paid my own tuition/fees/books
and graduated in four years with no debt and a little savings in the
bank.

I started college late 50's and just figured I made about $650 in a
summer and tuition at University of Delaware was $255 a year.Â* I hitch
hiked and paid for rides the first year and bought a used car for $225
to commute the second year.Â* Books were cheap and you could get most
even cheaper used.Â* Today some text books cost more than my semester's
tuition at Delaware.

I worked with a chemical engineer who when in grad school at DE and
another grad student with their professor wrote a chemical engineering
text book.Â* He was bragging about getting a $6,000 royalty check from a
new edition.Â* This was over 40 years ago and probably more than a
quarter of his annual income.

It was a few decades ago but I managed to pay full tuition and board at
U of D for our three sons.Â* They worked summers but could not do what we
did at today's tuition.Â* Having two in college at the same time was like
buying a new car every year and driving it off a cliff.

My tuition was $900 a year. And my first year I hitchhiked too- though
sometimes rode the bus. I also got a car my second year- '54 Studebaker
Champion coupe: jet black, V-8, three-on-the-tree with mechanical
overdrive, manual wing-out fender fresh air vents, etc. Wish I still had
that baby- it was beautiful!

There was a used book sale program the first week of each semester
staffed by volunteers. You were "paid" one book per half-day shift
worked- so I got most of my books for free. I always preferred used
books anyway- all nice and pre-underlined for you... unless the previous
owner was a jerk ;-)

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?