Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. College Loan Forgiveness

This John Stossel article claims about a third of college enrollees don't graduate after six years. Why doesn't it dawn on them that they aren't going to make it long before then? Beer and women? People expected to be out in four years way back when I was college age. That would've been in the 1970s.
It points to a woman who decided she couldn't afford college and went to welding school instead. She's making $3,000/week. She may well be an exception but there is work for people who get dirty.
https://www.wnd.com/2021/05/hardworking-taxpayers-bail-privileged-students/
My brother claims small engine repair shops in Omaha, NE have waiting lists of weeks. People don't want to mess with lawnmower or snowblower repair. There still are the old fashioned welding/repair shops in my area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2021 7:52 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
This John Stossel article claims about a third of college enrollees don't graduate after six years. Why doesn't it dawn on them that they aren't going to make it long before then? Beer and women? People expected to be out in four years way back when I was college age. That would've been in the 1970s.
It points to a woman who decided she couldn't afford college and went to welding school instead. She's making $3,000/week. She may well be an exception but there is work for people who get dirty.
https://www.wnd.com/2021/05/hardworking-taxpayers-bail-privileged-students/
My brother claims small engine repair shops in Omaha, NE have waiting lists of weeks. People don't want to mess with lawnmower or snowblower repair. There still are the old fashioned welding/repair shops in my area.

The VA paid for my 2 year business/accounting degree . I used that
knowledge to run several small businesses over the years . I retired
from cabinet making , and now use my small machine shop to do repairs
for local farmers as a paying hobby . I kinda specialize in rehabbing
worn and damaged parts that can't be replaced ... like the hydraulic
steering ram and associated parts from an older Kubota that got rolled
off a hill . As far as I know I'm the only one doing this kind of
repairs in our area ...
--
Snag
Race only matters to racists ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 8:52:26 AM UTC-4, wrote:
This John Stossel article claims about a third of college enrollees don't graduate after six years. Why doesn't it dawn on them that they aren't going to make it long before then? Beer and women? People expected to be out in four years way back when I was college age. That would've been in the 1970s.
It points to a woman who decided she couldn't afford college and went to welding school instead. She's making $3,000/week. She may well be an exception but there is work for people who get dirty.
https://www.wnd.com/2021/05/hardworking-taxpayers-bail-privileged-students/
My brother claims small engine repair shops in Omaha, NE have waiting lists of weeks. People don't want to mess with lawnmower or snowblower repair. There still are the old fashioned welding/repair shops in my area.

All good points. There are many benefits to getting more education, but you do have
to evaluate the costs and other alternatives, particularly with what a college education
costs today. For many, taking the money that they would have spent on college and
starting a small business could be a better alternative from a financial perspective.
Particularly if they are aiming for a degree in arts or poly sci from an expensive school.
If you're an average student, not going into engineering or science, it's very likely
that there are better alternatives than spending that money on a degree.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2021 8:52 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
This John Stossel article claims about a third of college enrollees don't graduate after six years. Why doesn't it dawn on them that they aren't going to make it long before then? Beer and women? People expected to be out in four years way back when I was college age. That would've been in the 1970s.
It points to a woman who decided she couldn't afford college and went to welding school instead. She's making $3,000/week. She may well be an exception but there is work for people who get dirty.
https://www.wnd.com/2021/05/hardworking-taxpayers-bail-privileged-students/
My brother claims small engine repair shops in Omaha, NE have waiting lists of weeks. People don't want to mess with lawnmower or snowblower repair. There still are the old fashioned welding/repair shops in my area.

I read that this morning and agree with Stossel.

Also, what happens when the government starts pumping money into it?
It gets more expensive that's what happens.

I went to college to learn and with summer jobs, living at home and a
little help from dad graduated college with no debt for me or dad. Same
for grad school with a teaching assistantship and in last year a
fellowship I graduated with no debt.

Now you have kids going to college just to get a degree. They get them
in art history, women's studies, etc which are completely useless in the
work force. College costs sour with availability of loans and when the
government took over the loan business they skyrocketed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2021 8:52 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
This John Stossel article claims about a third of college enrollees don't graduate after six years. Why doesn't it dawn on them that they aren't going to make it long before then? Beer and women? People expected to be out in four years way back when I was college age. That would've been in the 1970s.
It points to a woman who decided she couldn't afford college and went to welding school instead. She's making $3,000/week. She may well be an exception but there is work for people who get dirty.
https://www.wnd.com/2021/05/hardworking-taxpayers-bail-privileged-students/
My brother claims small engine repair shops in Omaha, NE have waiting lists of weeks. People don't want to mess with lawnmower or snowblower repair. There still are the old fashioned welding/repair shops in my area.

College was not required for some jobs back in the 1960s. I went to
night school but never got a degree. I made about 50% more than the
college grads that worked for me.

Kids are pushed to the over priced schools and often are taking courses
that are interesting and fun but offer no practical use in job
performance. College is expected but real useful education is not
always chosen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/21 9:40 AM, Frank wrote:
On 5/5/2021 8:52 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
This John Stossel article claims about a third of college enrollees
don't graduate after six years.Â* Why doesn't it dawn on them that they
aren't going to make it long before then?Â* Beer and women?Â* People
expected to be out in four years way back when I was college age.
That would've been in the 1970s.
Â*Â* It points to a woman who decided she couldn't afford college and
went to welding school instead.Â*Â* She's making $3,000/week.Â*Â* She may
well be an exception but there is work for people who get dirty.
https://www.wnd.com/2021/05/hardworking-taxpayers-bail-privileged-students/

Â*Â*Â*Â* My brother claims small engine repair shops in Omaha, NE have
waiting lists of weeks.Â* People don't want to mess with lawnmower or
snowblower repair.Â* There still are the old fashioned welding/repair
shops in my area.

I read that this morning and agree with Stossel.

Also, what happens when the government starts pumping money into it?
It gets more expensive that's what happens.

I went to college to learn and with summer jobs, living at home and a
little help from dad graduated college with no debt for me or dad.Â* Same
for grad school with a teaching assistantship and in last year a
fellowship I graduated with no debt.

Now you have kids going to college just to get a degree.Â* They get them
in art history, women's studies, etc which are completely useless in the
work force.Â* College costs sour with availability of loans and when the
government took over the loan business they skyrocketed.

Pretty much the same here.

Back in the 60's, I lived at home, attended a local private university,
worked a lot of hours at the US Post Office (before it became the US
Postal Service) at a pay rate just over twice the minimum wage-- then a
buck an hour-- paid my own tuition/fees/books and graduated in four
years with no debt and a little savings in the bank.

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2021 10:00 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 5/5/21 9:40 AM, Frank wrote:
[...]

in the work force.Â* College costs sour with availability of loans and
when the government took over the loan business they skyrocketed.

Pretty much the same here.

Back in the 60's, I lived at home, attended a local private university,
worked a lot of hours at the US Post Office (before it became the US
Postal Service) at a pay rate just over twice the minimum wage-- then a
buck an hour-- paid my own tuition/fees/books and graduated in four
years with no debt and a little savings in the bank.

I started college late 50's and just figured I made about $650 in a
summer and tuition at University of Delaware was $255 a year. I hitch
hiked and paid for rides the first year and bought a used car for $225
to commute the second year. Books were cheap and you could get most
even cheaper used. Today some text books cost more than my semester's
tuition at Delaware.

I worked with a chemical engineer who when in grad school at DE and
another grad student with their professor wrote a chemical engineering
text book. He was bragging about getting a $6,000 royalty check from a
new edition. This was over 40 years ago and probably more than a
quarter of his annual income.

It was a few decades ago but I managed to pay full tuition and board at
U of D for our three sons. They worked summers but could not do what we
did at today's tuition. Having two in college at the same time was like
buying a new car every year and driving it off a cliff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 May 2021 05:52:23 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman
wrote:

This John Stossel article claims about a third of college enrollees don't graduate after six years. Why doesn't it dawn on them that they aren't going to make it long before then? Beer and women? People expected to be out in four years way back when I was college age. That would've been in the 1970s.
It points to a woman who decided she couldn't afford college and went to welding school instead. She's making $3,000/week. She may well be an exception but there is work for people who get dirty.
https://www.wnd.com/2021/05/hardworking-taxpayers-bail-privileged-students/
My brother claims small engine repair shops in Omaha, NE have waiting lists of weeks. People don't want to mess with lawnmower or snowblower repair. There still are the old fashioned welding/repair shops in my area.

They sell college loans just like they do heroin. You start out slow
but once you are hooked it is hard to quit. As long as you are still
enrolled the payments are deferred so you end up with dumb people
taking a decade to get a masters degree, still racking up debt. When
they get out they quickly figure out their degree is not the ticket to
a job that pays enough to service the 5 figure debt they have.
Even in the 90s we were told by universities a "4 year degree" takes
most students five and some drag it out to 6, usually by changing
majors a few times but they also told us, most of the first year of
college is actually making up for a lousy K-12 experience and the
courses are remedial high school, even though they are called college
level.
Easy money is a big part of what has caused university costs to rise
many times faster than inflation. When I was college age, it was
actually possible to pay for college with a part time job. Not so much
anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
In article , says...

Kids are pushed to the over priced schools and often are taking courses
that are interesting and fun but offer no practical use in job
performance. College is expected but real useful education is not
always chosen.

It does seem that college is being pushed very hard but many courses are
worthless. Seems they only exists to make more professors in the field.
Bill Gates one of the richest men in the world was a college dropout. I
am not sure about some of the Apple founders, but would not surprise me
if they never finished college either.

Jobs didn't, Wozniak did.

Now other companies are getting away from
college students and training them their selves.

Even Apple doesn't do that.

Many would be much better off going to a trade school if they can find
one. Around here plumbers seem hard to come by. Most of the time you
have to wait several days to over a week. Had one out here the othe day
and he charges $ 110 an hour. Now Not that he makes that much to put in
his pocket, but I am sure he gets a fair portion of it as he is self
employed. I don't have a problem with whit he charges .

I put in a carport type garage. I had to wait about 4 months to get the
concrete work done. I was first told they were booked up for atleast 2
months, then the rain set in and it was about 4 months before they
could do the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not a problem. Joe is going to make it all free.

Going to be interesting to see if Congress is actually stupid enough to buy
that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:17am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Thu, 6 May 2021 03:17:43 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

03:17 in Australia? And it's trolling time for you ALREADY, you subnormal
senile freak? LOL

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 May 2021 03:23:44 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This John Stossel article claims about a third of college enrollees don't graduate after six years. Why doesn't it dawn on them that they aren't going to make it long before then? Beer and women? People expected to be out in four years way back when I was college age. That would've been in the 1970s.
It points to a woman who decided she couldn't afford college and went to welding school instead. She's making $3,000/week. She may well be an exception but there is work for people who get dirty.
https://www.wnd.com/2021/05/hardworking-taxpayers-bail-privileged-students/
My brother claims small engine repair shops in Omaha, NE have waiting lists of weeks. People don't want to mess with lawnmower or snowblower repair. There still are the old fashioned welding/repair shops in my area.

You aren't the only one who thinks that way:

https://www.mikeroweworks.org/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 May 2021 09:40:47 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

[...]

They're told by society that unless you have a degree, you're nothing.
Rather like, if you don't have big boobs or a six-pack (or both),
you're nothing. Perhaps there's a reason they're so angry?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/21 9:40 AM, Frank wrote:
[...]

I went to college in the early '70s. The tuition at the University of
Illinois was $500 (first year) and was raised to $900, the second. I
got a scholarship my senior year. Illinois is one of the top EE
schools (pretty consistently #3), so it was really cheap. Books
weren't so cheap and many couldn't be resold.

My brother was in vet med school. He used to say that Illinois was
the #20 vet med school in the country (there are only 21). His texts
were at least 4x the price of mine and none could be resold. His
profs wrote the books they taught from and changed them every year.

I worked with a chemical engineer who when in grad school at DE and
another grad student with their professor wrote a chemical engineering
text book. He was bragging about getting a $6,000 royalty check from a
new edition. This was over 40 years ago and probably more than a
quarter of his annual income.

It was a few decades ago but I managed to pay full tuition and board at
U of D for our three sons. They worked summers but could not do what we
did at today's tuition. Having two in college at the same time was like
buying a new car every year and driving it off a cliff.

Because money for college is as easy as signing your name. There is
no reason to contain costs. Money is free and unlimited.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 May 2021 10:57:49 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...

Kids are pushed to the over priced schools and often are taking courses
that are interesting and fun but offer no practical use in job
performance. College is expected but real useful education is not
always chosen.

It does seem that college is being pushed very hard but many courses are
worthless. Seems they only exists to make more professors in the field.
Bill Gates one of the richest men in the world was a college dropout. I
am not sure about some of the Apple founders, but would not surprise me
if they never finished college either. Now other companies are getting
away from college students and training them their selves.

IBM trained its own programmers for some time. As secretaries became
superfluous, they retrained them as coders. At the time there was a
"no layoffs" policy in the company so it was a good idea, and worked.
Programming was set up so the specifications were so well done that it
didn't take a lot to write the programs from the specifications. The
design was done by the computer "scientists" and the actual putting it
into bits was done by "coders".

Many would be much better off going to a trade school if they can find
one. Around here plumbers seem hard to come by. Most of the time you
have to wait several days to over a week. Had one out here the othe day
and he charges $ 110 an hour. Now Not that he makes that much to put in
his pocket, but I am sure he gets a fair portion of it as he is self
employed. I don't have a problem with whit he charges .

A lot of this is, or has been, union driven. It probably still is in
many places. The unions own Chicago, for example.

Truckers are making a killing right now. I'm told that drivers just
getting out of driving school are getting $60K. Seasoned drivers were
getting $40K just a few years ago. They can make over $100K now.
Tough job but it's in high demand right now.

I put in a carport type garage. I had to wait about 4 months to get the
concrete work done. I was first told they were booked up for atleast 2
months, then the rain set in and it was about 4 months before they
could do the job.

We had a tornado go through town in April (may have been late
February). It destroyed a lot of homes, ripped the roofs off
hundreds, and did a lot more damage. This isn't the time to be
looking for carpenters or roofers. Apparently the blue tarp business
is brisk, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Wed, 5 May 2021 10:57:49 -0400, Ralph Mowery

In article , says...

Bull**** except for being away from the family much more than most are.

but it's in high demand right now.

I put in a carport type garage. I had to wait about 4 months to get the
concrete work done. I was first told they were booked up for atleast 2
months, then the rain set in and it was about 4 months before they
could do the job.

We had a tornado go through town in April (may have been late
February). It destroyed a lot of homes, ripped the roofs off
hundreds, and did a lot more damage. This isn't the time to be
looking for carpenters or roofers. Apparently the blue tarp business
is brisk, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/21 9:40 AM, Frank wrote:
[...]

useless in the work force.Â* College costs sour with availability of
loans and when the government took over the loan business they
skyrocketed.

Pretty much the same here.

Back in the 60's, I lived at home, attended a local private
university, worked a lot of hours at the US Post Office (before it
became the US Postal Service) at a pay rate just over twice the
minimum wage-- then a buck an hour-- paid my own tuition/fees/books
and graduated in four years with no debt and a little savings in the
bank.

I started college late 50's and just figured I made about $650 in a
summer and tuition at University of Delaware was $255 a year.Â* I hitch
hiked and paid for rides the first year and bought a used car for $225
to commute the second year.Â* Books were cheap and you could get most
even cheaper used.Â* Today some text books cost more than my semester's
tuition at Delaware.

I worked with a chemical engineer who when in grad school at DE and
another grad student with their professor wrote a chemical engineering
text book.Â* He was bragging about getting a $6,000 royalty check from a
new edition.Â* This was over 40 years ago and probably more than a
quarter of his annual income.

It was a few decades ago but I managed to pay full tuition and board at
U of D for our three sons.Â* They worked summers but could not do what we
did at today's tuition.Â* Having two in college at the same time was like
buying a new car every year and driving it off a cliff.

My tuition was $900 a year. And my first year I hitchhiked too- though
sometimes rode the bus. I also got a car my second year- '54 Studebaker
Champion coupe: jet black, V-8, three-on-the-tree with mechanical
overdrive, manual wing-out fender fresh air vents, etc. Wish I still had
that baby- it was beautiful!

There was a used book sale program the first week of each semester
staffed by volunteers. You were "paid" one book per half-day shift
worked- so I got most of my books for free. I always preferred used
books anyway- all nice and pre-underlined for you... unless the previous
owner was a jerk ;-)

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 May 2021 06:43:07 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent
Speed, the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:+

Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 May 2021 15:39:59 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 5 May 2021 10:57:49 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

IBM trained all of their hardware people in house and was not
impressed by degrees. In the early 70s they tried some EEs and half
went into management or an engineering department, mostly Federal
Systems. The other half were just advised to seek other opportunities
somewhere else. The skills they brought were generally years behind
the current technology and that was changing yearly.
They did offer tuition refunds but there was little incentive to use
them. A CE with a degree was still paid the same as one without a
degree. It was not going to get you promoted either.
Most of us had plenty of classroom time, just keeping up with the
technology we were working on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 May 2021 16:11:37 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

The books for college were a big rip off. The professors wrote the
books and then required the students to buy them at big price. It may
not be the professor that was teaching your class you had to buy the
book by, but one at another school.

While almost nothing chnaged in many of them, each year another book
would come out so there was no resale value. Some colleges did have a
way to turn in the old books and they would resell them for a profit.

Toward the end of my only college English class*, the professor asked about
6 of us to write an essay that would be included in the textbook that
they'd use for the next year. My wife went to that same college, 6 years
later, and they were still using the book that had my essay. I was
surprised because I figured they'd change long before that.

*That was my only English class because I tested out of the others.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2021 8:52 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
This John Stossel article claims about a third of college enrollees don't graduate after six years. Why doesn't it dawn on them that they aren't going to make it long before then? Beer and women? People expected to be out in four years way back when I was college age. That would've been in the 1970s.
It points to a woman who decided she couldn't afford college and went to welding school instead. She's making $3,000/week. She may well be an exception but there is work for people who get dirty.
https://www.wnd.com/2021/05/hardworking-taxpayers-bail-privileged-students/
My brother claims small engine repair shops in Omaha, NE have waiting lists of weeks. People don't want to mess with lawnmower or snowblower repair. There still are the old fashioned welding/repair shops in my area.

If it's not an app or on the PC, they can't do it. Kids are lazy and
catered to, nowadays. They were promised lucrative careers with a
college degree and they attended in troves. Now the trade work has
diminished and looking for people to fill them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 May 2021 05:52:25 -0400, Hawk wrote:

[...]

They are always looking for trades around here and as often as not
they are hiring Latinos because the anglo snowflakes won't apply or
they quit in a week. Fifteen years ago Latinos were doing manual
labor, now they are electricians, framers and starting into plumbing.
The rednecks in HVAC are still holding the line but I bet they are
next.