Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. College Loan Forgiveness

On Wed, 5 May 2021 10:57:49 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...

Kids are pushed to the over priced schools and often are taking courses
that are interesting and fun but offer no practical use in job
performance. College is expected but real useful education is not
always chosen.

It does seem that college is being pushed very hard but many courses are
worthless. Seems they only exists to make more professors in the field.
Bill Gates one of the richest men in the world was a college dropout. I
am not sure about some of the Apple founders, but would not surprise me
if they never finished college either. Now other companies are getting
away from college students and training them their selves.

IBM trained its own programmers for some time. As secretaries became
superfluous, they retrained them as coders. At the time there was a
"no layoffs" policy in the company so it was a good idea, and worked.
Programming was set up so the specifications were so well done that it
didn't take a lot to write the programs from the specifications. The
design was done by the computer "scientists" and the actual putting it
into bits was done by "coders".

Many would be much better off going to a trade school if they can find
one. Around here plumbers seem hard to come by. Most of the time you
have to wait several days to over a week. Had one out here the othe day
and he charges $ 110 an hour. Now Not that he makes that much to put in
his pocket, but I am sure he gets a fair portion of it as he is self
employed. I don't have a problem with whit he charges .

A lot of this is, or has been, union driven. It probably still is in
many places. The unions own Chicago, for example.

Truckers are making a killing right now. I'm told that drivers just
getting out of driving school are getting $60K. Seasoned drivers were
getting $40K just a few years ago. They can make over $100K now.
Tough job but it's in high demand right now.

I put in a carport type garage. I had to wait about 4 months to get the
concrete work done. I was first told they were booked up for atleast 2
months, then the rain set in and it was about 4 months before they
could do the job.

We had a tornado go through town in April (may have been late
February). It destroyed a lot of homes, ripped the roofs off
hundreds, and did a lot more damage. This isn't the time to be
looking for carpenters or roofers. Apparently the blue tarp business
is brisk, though.