Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default chainsaw

On Wed, 5 May 2021 14:37:00 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 05/05/2021 14:03, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 3 May 2021 18:30:16 +0100, williamwright
wrote:

On 03/05/2021 14:34, Andrew wrote:

I use a manual emission-free chain saw. Good exercise.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bahco-erg...24-610mm/5313k

I'd worked myself nearly to death by the time I was 62. I don't want to
finish the job on anything so futile as doing the work of a machine.

But you still need to exercise and you either do that futiley g by
walking nowhere and back (as we often to for the dog), doing similar
in a gym [1] or allow some jobs to keep you fit.

Agreed but the bow saw is hard exercise for a very limited set of
muscles.

But only as hard as you want to make it? I mean with the right pitched
and set blade in the right length saw with the job at the right height
it can be quite 'light' work? [1]

The benefit will come from the moving and stacking, not the
cutting.

Well, it *will* also come from the cutting (see above and a bit of
light aerobic work, as long as you don't overdo it g) and I think it
would be a good plan to not spend any prolonged time on any one thing
(however inefficient that might sound).

Cut a chog off, split it, stack it etc. With a chainsaw you might be
inclined to cut a heap of chogs, then split / stack them all?

Cheers, T i m

[1] I agree that you can 'just' exercise some muscles, eg, by walking
or cycling and that's why I also like rowing. And even when I was
rowing fairly regularly, drawing my recurve (archery) bow seemed to
use yet another set of muscles (I was reminded the next day ...). ;-)