Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default chainsaw

On 04/05/2021 11:34, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 4 May 2021 10:13:19 +0100, "NY" wrote:

snip

I've snapped two pruning saws when the blades got seized in branches on
the
push stroke.

Were they 'good' ones? (Silky etc)

I think one of them was a cheap one,

I would expect a cheap one to blunt quickly and bend rather than snap
as they generally use a lower grade steel.

The ones I have had from Lidl and other places have been made from
hardened carbon steel which stay sharp but can crack if abused. They cut
on the push and pull stroke but it is best to put most force into the
pull, to reduce bending.

I've had well-used ones break (perhaps from fatigue cracks) before they
have lost their sharpness significantly.