Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT looking for a satnav app that zooms in at junctions

"T i m" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 May 2021 06:44:47 -0700 (PDT), Murmansk
wrote:

snip
The only thing that does annoy me is it takes about 30 seconds to start
up!

It's funny how 'improving technology' seems to impact that sort of
thing.

In the old days you would turn your tube TV on and then go and make a
cuppa while it 'warmed up'. Then they used transistors and they would
come on nearly instantly. Then they based them on computers and now
they (can) take a while to boot up again. ;-)

In the old days it would often take a GPS some time to get it's first
'fix' of the session then faster / more sensitive chips made that near
instant, now we have apps that take 30 seconds to get going (whereas
my Garmin Nuvi is still nearly instant). ;-)

Google Maps and Apple Maps on the iphone are both instant.