Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default chainsaw

On 04/05/2021 15:15, NY wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/05/2021 18:25, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

biggest revelation in chainsaw performance was buying a cheapo
electric chain sharpener though

So far I've gone the three chains for £24 route, and only managed
to dull one.

I find that you need to sharpen about every hour, and it takes about
ten minutes, and the file lasts about a chainsaw week at best.

Electric sharpeners mean you have to take the sodding chain off and
that takes even longer...

I find if you have a few sharpened and ready, its quick to just swap
a chain.

It never occurred to me that it *might* be possible to sharpen the
blades on a chainsaw chain in situ, because of the problem of rotating
the chain slow enough to do each tooth in turn. I suppose if you mark
the teeth that are exposed and that you have sharpened, you can run
the chainsaw and stop it - and hope that sooner or later it will stop
with different teeth exposed.

?? you can move the chain without using the motor.

Petrol ones have a centrifugal clutch - so there is no need to pull the
engine at the same time as the chain.

--
Cheers,

John.