Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default chainsaw

On 04/05/2021 15:15, NY wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/05/2021 18:25, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

biggest revelation in chainsaw performance was buying a cheapo
electric chain sharpener though

So far I've gone the three chains for Β£24 route, and only managed to
dull one.

I find that you need to sharpen about every hour, and it takes about
ten minutes, and the file lasts about a chainsaw week at best.

Electric sharpeners mean you have to take the sodding chain off and
that takes even longer...

I find if you have a few sharpened and ready, its quick to just swap a
chain.

It never occurred to me that it *might* be possible to sharpen the
blades on a chainsaw chain in situ, because of the problem of rotating
the chain slow enough to do each tooth in turn. I suppose if you mark
the teeth that are exposed and that you have sharpened, you can run the
chainsaw and stop it - and hope that sooner or later it will stop with
different teeth exposed.

?? you can move the chain without using the motor.

But it's so easy to remove the chain on my saw, and it's something I
have to do anyway every few times I use it, to clean out oil-impregnated
wood shavings that accumulate at the "inward" end of the blade (ie by
the cog that connects to the motor or engine, under the screw-on cover).
A screw driver blade, with the chain still in situ, never gets
everything out: I've found that the chain and blade need to be unhooked
so the waste can be removed properly and any excess oil can be wiped off.

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell