Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default chainsaw

On Tue, 4 May 2021 11:29:20 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

snip

I've bought a dedicated sharpener (offer at Lidl/Aldi, can't remember
which) but I haven't tried it yet.

I think daughter bought one of those (we have both local) and did find
it 'ok' (as in it seemed to work and was quite quick when set-up) but
as she never had any issue sharpening them by hand, I don't think it
got used that much.

I think the advantage of sharpening by hand is you can be a little bit
more conservative re how much you file away on each tooth, making the
blade last a bit longer?

Whilst working in someone's back garden their neighbour brought his
cheapo saw out and asked if they could sharpen it for him. She brought
it home and sharpened it and took it back when passing that evening.
Whilst advising that he now pay extra care because of how sharp it
was, the chain guard went to slid off and she nicked herself as she
tried to catch it. ;-(

That was very similar to the safety instructions I was giving her with
her first scalpel for crafting when she was a kid and I dropped the
thing on my hand ... 'Yeah, nice demo Dad' ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m