Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default chainsaw

On 03/05/2021 17:34, Tim+ wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 03/05/2021 17:17, Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote:
What is the pollution like, I see a lot of power tools that seem to push out
foul smelling blue smoke all the time on strimmers hedge cutters and the
like. Brian

Older. probably, and 2-stroke which necessarily burn some oil and
produce blue smoke. Another reason why I like my 4-stroke Ryobi.

Does such a chainsaw still exist?

Tim

all my saws have been 2 stroke
power to weight, mate.

Well I know that. That said, Sthil do make 4-stroke strimmers/brush
cutters (that run on two stroke fuel) so not impossible, but I couldnt
find any Ryobi ones. A quick search suggests that other brands *do* exist.

I had a Ryobi 4 stroke combi / strimmer power head for a bit. It was a
pile of crap alas. (power output was not that good, it did not run well
at certain angles (typically those required when hedge trimming), but
the biggest weakness was the plastic components in the valve train that
made it almost impossible to tune and keep running reliably. Replaced it
with a Stihl KM 94 RC-E KombiEngine, which is vastly better in every way.

--
Cheers,

John.