Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default chainsaw

On Mon, 3 May 2021 23:18:29 +0100, "NY" wrote:

snip

I've snapped two pruning saws when the blades got seized in branches on the
push stroke.

Were they 'good' ones? (Silky etc)

The first time the saw was a write-off because the break was
near the handle (*); the second time it was only the tip of the blade that
snapped off.

Having a blade that is not kept rigid by a thicker bar (tenon
saw) or kept in tension (bow saw) is just asking for problems...

Depending on how it's used or if it's a 'pull saw' (Japanese, coping,
fret, band, wire etc), it can be, especially if you allow the cut to
be in an area that becomes in compression during the cut.

I spent much of my youth sat on or holding timber for Dad as he was a
keen woodworker and it was important that I *held* any unsupported
'end', not lifted (or it would pinch his saw) or it be allowed to drop
whilst being cut though.

Cheers, T i m