Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Can I replace Immersion Heater Switch?

On 03/05/2021 17:11, Tim+ wrote:

Maybe higher wattage ones do exist but Ive never come across one. Isnt
more common for some cylinders to have 2x3kW elements?

I once had a dual element heater in my tank 3kW and 3kW. One was a long
element and the other a very short element. The idea was that the short
element was used to produce a small amount of hot water quickly at the
top of the tank whereas the longer element for a tank full of hot water.
From memory, there were also two thermostats the length of which
matched the elements.

It was controlled with a dual switch - on/off and a changeover
short/long element. Both elements were NOT on at the same time although
I suppose that someone could wire them in parallel with a single on/off
switch.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Double-Mark.../dp/B00F62XWHU