Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Can I replace Immersion Heater Switch?

On 03/05/2021 09:38, Jedzi wrote:

I've got an ancient, maybe 40 or 50 years old, switch for the immersion heater in my airing cupboard. It's a thin-ish one, mounted on the wooden door frame.

Increasingly, it gets hot in use and has started to smell slightly (I think it's a heated plastic type smell).

I want to replace it with a switch like this https://bit.ly/336ClVA , mounted in a steel back box, on the wall next to it. Am I allowed to do that?

Before you buy anything have a look at the back of the switch and see
how much "slack" cable there is. If something is now burning you may
find that the cable is charred and you will need to cut it back to a
good section of cable. If there isn't enough slack cable to pull through
you may/will have to consider other options.

I would recommend using the deepest back box that you can fit.