Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey[_3_] Commander Kinsey[_3_] is offline

Default Spank!

On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 02:30:26 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 04/26/2021 11:53 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I doubt his religion played any part in creating his theories.

In a way it did. He fervently believed in a steady state universe and
created a 'cosmological constant' (fudge factor) to make his equations work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmological_constant

I don't know if his belief derived from Judaism but it was strong enough
to ignore what his math was telling him.

Don't need religion to do that. Just the intelligence to know that the maths isn't quite right.

"Einstein reportedly referred to his failure to accept the validation of
his equations€”when they had predicted the expansion of the universe in
theory, before it was demonstrated in observation of the cosmological
redshift€”as his "biggest blunder"

A Catholic priest called him on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre

"At this time, Einstein, while not taking exception to the mathematics
of Lemaître's theory, refused to accept that the universe was expanding;
Lemaître recalled his commenting "Vos calculs sont corrects, mais votre
physique est abominable" ("Your calculations are correct, but your
physics is atrocious")"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradigm_shift

Kuhn wrote a book about the phenomenon but Planck summed it up:

"a new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and
making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually
die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."[

--
Sent from my iPhone, this spam courtesy of Apple incorporated.