Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Can I replace Immersion Heater Switch?

Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
On 03/05/2021 09:38, Jedzi wrote:

I've got an ancient, maybe 40 or 50 years old, switch for the immersion
heater in my airing cupboard. It's a thin-ish one, mounted on the wooden door frame.

Increasingly, it gets hot in use and has started to smell slightly (I
think it's a heated plastic type smell).

I want to replace it with a switch like this https://bit.ly/336ClVA ,
mounted in a steel back box, on the wall next to it. Am I allowed to do that?

Yes but check the rating (wattage) of the immersion heater to ensure it
would not exceed 20 amps.

Just checked the first dozen immersion heater elements on Screwfix and
theyre all 3kW.

Maybe higher wattage ones do exist but Ive never come across one. Isnt
more common for some cylinders to have 2x3kW elements?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls