Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can I replace Immersion Heater Switch?

Personally as long as the wiring is sound and no matter what the law may
say, I'd do it now before the existing one causes a fire by the sound of it!

However the one thing is, if its really that old then the wiring could be as
well and the heating may have hastened its demise, so you may open it and
find a major rewiring job to do.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jedzi" wrote in message

I've got an ancient, maybe 40 or 50 years old, switch for the immersion
heater in my airing cupboard. It's a thin-ish one, mounted on the wooden
door frame.

Increasingly, it gets hot in use and has started to smell slightly (I
think it's a heated plastic type smell).

I want to replace it with a switch like this
https://bit.ly/336ClVA ,
mounted in a steel back box, on the wall next to it. Am I allowed to do
that?