Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default Can I replace Immersion Heater Switch?

On Mon, 3 May 2021 14:53:42 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 03/05/2021 14:45, newshound wrote:
On 03/05/2021 14:02, Andrew wrote:
On 03/05/2021 09:38, Jedzi wrote:

I've got an ancient, maybe 40 or 50 years old, switch for the
immersion heater in my airing cupboard.* It's a thin-ish one, mounted
on the wooden door frame.

Increasingly, it gets hot in use and has started to smell slightly (I
think it's a heated plastic type smell).

I want to replace it with a switch like this https://bit.ly/336ClVA ,
mounted in a steel back box, on the wall next to it.* Am I allowed to
do that?

IT will look silly on a metal backbox, they are intended to be sunk
into the wall. Just use a single surface-mount pattress box like
this -

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-1-gang...ite-30mm/11340

Good point. Although a metal box designed for industrial installations
with conduit would be OK.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-1-2-ga...clad-box/37530

Those boxes in ?incompatible with the switch that the OP was
asking about though. They are intended for industrial use.

Compatible switch available:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-metalc...-inserts/851jr