Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default TOT elections - second choice.

On Mon, 3 May 2021 11:35:57 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:
snip

but if you're coming in, to work in the suburbs, from outside, it's a ****
option

Then change your job?

I made a point of not working where I needed anything other than a
simple / short commute, simply because I realised it was more stress,
more pollution, more risk and I'd spend more unpaid time 'at work'
than working more local for (possibly but not always and especially
given all the above), less money.

The longest door to door commute was 30 mins (walk, train, walk) and I
hated every second of it.

The best was a 5 min walk (10 years). ;-)

I was offered a very well paid job that initially involved a ****
drive likely to be at best 1 hour each way and I (politely) turned it
down because I knew the commuting would get to me sooner or later.

They then offered me a similar post that meant an easier drive in a
better direction, same prediction, same outcome.

They then offered me an option on the second location, allowing me to
work from home several days a week but even that wasn't good enough to
offset that daily waste of time.

I had a mate who lived in Clacton and worked in the City of London.
2,5 hours each way or something (by train), initially told me it was
ok (he could read or talk to the Mrs on the days they were both going
in).

Then he moved to Colchester 'because it was closer'?

Then he moved to Chadwell Heath 'because it was really close'.

Why did he do that if in fact, 5 hours commuting each day was 'ok'?

It's funny how we defend / try to justify some of the things we do,
even when they are obviously bad / illogical.

Cheers, T i m