Posted to alt.home.repair
danny burstein danny burstein is offline

Default Anyone Know What This Reddish ceiling Material Is?

[snip]

Just as an fyi, the house we recently moved into
was built 1990ish, and had that same garbage of
a twin 40 fluorescent fixture simply screwed
into a plasterboard ceiling, with non metallic
"romex" type cabling running to it.

No secure fasteners or boxes. Just screws and
anchors in overhead drywall.

We were amazed it hadn't fallen down on its own.

We had to cut more drywall away until we could
find the wooden crossbeams, install and properly
frame new metal boxes, etc., before we could
hang a new fixture...