Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cedar and galvanized nails

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 15:39:36 -0500, Markem618
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 16:29:13 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 11:07:08 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/29/2021 11:03 PM, Class Act Rain Gutters wrote:
On Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 6:28:27 AM UTC-6, Chuck wrote:
Nova wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction.
This will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex
paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

Hot dipped galvanized nails should be okay. See:

http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/sid...tion/nails.php

Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I see no sign
of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go with galvanized. Now to
see if I can use a nail gun.

Back in the 70s they used a different type of galvanization. But the galvanization formula used today causes the reaction.
I am certain hot dipped nails will, but am uncertain about electroplated nails.

Twelve years later,,,, When I put up fencing it was advised to use
Aluminum nails to prevent staining.

In modern times, stainless nails are preferred for cedar siding.
They're cheap, compared to the siding and the labor to put the stuff
on the wall.

I have used stainless steel with cedar, leaves black runs from the
nail heads.

Some stainless stains more than others. Your area (salt, in
particular) dictates which formulation is needed. The more common 304
stainless is less corrosion resistant (particularly to salt) than 18/8
or 18/10.