Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default NHS app and vaccination passport.

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

Heard on the news they're likely to use the NHS track and trace app as
a vaccine passport.

My phone is a Galaxy S4. Works just fine as a phone and camera and the
things I want a phone for. But too old for the NHS app - which was
presumably written by a pal of BoJo, given I can't see what's so
special about it that it needs the latest phones.

It does not need a particularly recent phone (I think hardware wise all
it needs is Bluetooth Low Energy 4 or above), but does need Android 6 or
later. Most S4s were Android 5 (Lollipop)

Although Samsung don't have an update for this, there are ways of
installing it yourself:

https://www.nextpit.com/how-to-get-a...sung-galaxy-s4

I use the mobile so little for outgoing calls I'm happy with PAYG. And
BT hotspot Wi-Fi access round London, for my parking app, etc.

If I do have to buy a new phone,

There will no doubt be manual ways to achieve the result without a
smartphone, however path of least resistance and all that!

what is going to be the best value? With
at least as good a camera.

Moto does ok for me, but there are other mid range good value options
out there these days. "Good camera" tends to be quite a broad definition
now - some phones take the camera aspect to the extreme.

Doing some Googling says you can use Android 10 with an S4. But each

You can probably use most versions - although later versions are more
resource hungry than earlier ones. So 10 may give a sub optimal
experience, whereas 6 will probably "feel" similar in performance. I saw
a demo of how to install Oreo (8) on it, and it said it works but was a
bit slow.

article I read seems to use a different way. And recommend different
software to do this. All very confusing.

Keep in mind these processes have been put together by a number of
independent third parties, they are not the manufacturer "approved" way
of doing it (since they abandoned supporting the device as soon as they
thought they could get away with it). As a result there are multiple
ways of doing it each if which probably work. So it is probably just a
case of pick one that you can follow where there also seems to be a
number of guides promoting.

--
Cheers,

John.